Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To Oshonsoft users - A comparison, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
To those using Oshonsoft that also know C:

Could you briefly comment on the differences, which one seems easier to use, the flaws and the advantages. Is any of them "better" in any sense? If you deem that an eventual reference to Assembly would fit, please do.

Basically I know almost zero about C but BASIC was my first language and I am still using Assembly for PIC micros. Started with the 16C57, then 16F and currently 18F.

Interested to hear about. Gracias.

Oshonsoft is a pretty good tool... The software has been updated several times but it still seems to be sluggish..
Most inbiult functions still don't use hardware serial, pulse out, pulse in etc.. but it will do most things..

C in my view is the easiest language to do things with!! Assembly is the fastest operationally.. Basic is the fastest to market... But C allows a really good ability to do everything... Low level is very achievable and high level enough to make development much faster than assembler..

I have just fixed my door chime!!! I stuck a pic12f675 on a piece of stripboard the same size as the old PCB inside the chime... Then as the code will be several lines started coding an assembled program to chime when the door opens... After 10 mins, I dropped all the assembler stuff and within 5 more mins had a C code up and running!! Job done..

But!!! I'm quite conversant with C now so it comes more natural to me.. If you end up learning C, you can still use assembler to make functions and have your main code in C... Best of both worlds..

Try and ditch basic... Its too cumbersome and sluggish!! I ended up writing more functions to compensate the slow ones that are ready available...

Oshonsoft is a pretty good tool... The software has been updated several times but it still seems to be sluggish..
Most inbiult functions still don't use hardware serial, pulse out, pulse in etc.. but it will do most things..

C in my view is the easiest language to do things with!! Assembly is the fastest operationally.. Basic is the fastest to market... But C allows a really good ability to do everything... Low level is very achievable and high level enough to make development much faster than assembler..

I have just fixed my door chime!!! I stuck a pic12f675 on a piece of stripboard the same size as the old PCB inside the chime... Then as the code will be several lines started coding an assembled program to chime when the door opens... After 10 mins, I dropped all the assembler stuff and within 5 more mins had a C code up and running!! Job done..

But!!! I'm quite conversant with C now so it comes more natural to me.. If you end up learning C, you can still use assembler to make functions and have your main code in C... Best of both worlds..

Try and ditch basic... Its too cumbersome and sluggish!! I ended up writing more functions to compensate the slow ones that are ready available...

Not very encouraging. Thanks Ian.

You can download the Oshonsoft IDE for evaluation.
I don't remember the evaluation period, maybe one month.

The simulator is great.
The documentation for Basic is scarce.
Overall I think the Oshonsoft Basic is easier than C to use, but I program only small hobby projects.

I wasn't going to post here , as I don't have any experience of oshonsoft, however I started out using machine code in the 1970's , I didn't have a PC, so that required lots of flow charts and lots of paper , (I loaded a memory chip with switches and pressed reset ! ) perhaps this gave me the basis for programming ,(walk before you run ) since then I have dabbled with the usual languages, even arduino :meh: The only sw I bought was Turbo Basic ! but have been doing C and PIC (mainly 24) now for some time. However I steer clear of precoded C librarys , and build my own peripheral drivers, programs are close to basic code , the great thing is ability to directly address PIC control registers as you would in assembler, there are loads of code examples out there , OK my stuff is not easily transported to different programmes / devices, I ought to use #define much more . . but as Ian pointed out C development is swift and satisfying ...

Forget simulation ... Debug is what you need.

Hi,

I only speak Basic and use Oshonsoft. There appear to be limitations in Oshonsoft, that can maybe got round. I have learnt a lot by using the simulator and find it a great asset. From advice I have had, if you are capable of learning other languages do try, but take time to explore which are future proof, for what you may get up to.

Camerart.

For pic18, I would give swordfish a go!!! Seems a better basic..

Better or more functions? Any concrete advantage? I always believed that professionals would not use BASIC for serious applications. Is it true or realistic to think that way? Could you elaborate?

I feel so comfortable with Assembler that I never find a reason to give a try to something else. (Fear the waste of time).

Swordfsih: no news on updates since Nov 2014. Not a good sign, I think.

Am I wrong?

Swordfsih: no news on updates since Nov 2014. Not a good sign, I think.

Am I wrong?
Nope!! But I'm still using a three year old copy of Oshonsoft as this was the compiler used in one of my products...

The compiler was pretty stable and it works for me..... I don't develop ( or haven't for over three years) with basic at all... I purchased the pro version of XC8 ( soon after the hitech shift ) and now use it for most of my 8 bit stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back