Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thread Hijacking and Necro-posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
When a person starts a posting on a forum, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread.

That's why it's important that before you reply to a thread, you ask yourself a simple question -- "Am I contributing to this thread, or am I changing the topic and/or focusing on some minor aspect that really isn't what this thread is about?"

Some people feel obligated to post something even if they can't contribute. Often it is a smart remark like "Google is your friend". That is off topic. That is hijacking.

Being a good little "forumer" I search for topics before I post a question and if I find a thread with the same question, I would just reply to that thread with any details I might have.

So we are encouraged to search the internet before posting a question. So say a person found an old thread with lots of good relevant info on his question. What if the final outcome wasn't posted. If this person asks for the outcome or starts up the conversation again, the OP and all other participants will be notified. He may get the answer or all that background info could help get the ball rolling again to the right outcome. But that is necro-posting. So what? If it helps the conversation. It is not hijacking because it is on topic and not interrupting a conversation. If someone yells "Hijacking or Necro-posting", that is off topic. That is Hijacking!

A while ago someone resurrected a thread about the MOSFETs in a CUT-50 plasma torch. I have a CUT-50 plasma torch and now I know what to do if it dies. When someone started complaining about necro-posting, I thanked him for resurrecting it.

If someone can't contribute or doesn't want to, why can't they just leave it alone and move on?

Last edited:
Total agree here... If a thread is resurrected and I feel it's deemed "on topic" I will let the thread run...

The point about "Google is your friend" is a good point!! To post such a statement, means that a search has been done.. In my mind I can trawl t' internet and find what I want, but I know several people who try searching and fail miserably... Search engines can be finicky... Type in too much detail and your off on a wild goose chase.. Type in too little and no hits.... It is definitely a experience thing..

If you can help by pointing out the search criteria, then it would help!!!

Some people don't think the same as others... I will google for someone and link the pages found...

I do wish people would be more helpful, after all that's why were here.. Isn't it

I generally take necro-posting fairly lightly. I will, however, still point out that the thread is X(X) years old to ensure the member who resurrected it, or someone who responded to them, is aware.

I generally don't tolerate hijacking unless it is focused on a very specific problem that someone already asked about. In general I recommend people start their own thread and link to the existing one, but this is not as critical.

Search engines can be finicky...

Short course on searching

+word means word must be on the page.
+"phrase" means phrase must be on page. Don't forget the quotations.
- word means you don't want to see that word on the page.
-"phrase" means you don't want to see that phrase on the page. Don't forget the quotations.

Use in any combination you desire.

Example:
At google

colpitts oscillator returns 108,000 results.
+colpitts +oscillator returns 108,000 results. this is the defacto standard.
+"colpitts oscillator" returns 85,400 results.
+colpitts -oscillator returns 8 results.
-colpitts +oscillator returns 487 results.

I learned this lesson from the AltaVista search engine in the pre-google days.

As far as distractions goes, Twenty years ago I searched for PVC and there was a link to erotic clothing in the top 10 results. Care to guess which link was clicked first?

Last edited:
Short course on searching

+word means word must be on the page.
+"phrase" means phrase must be on page. Don't forget the quotations.
- word means you don't want to see that word on the page.
-"phrase" means you don't want to see that phrase on the page. Don't forget the quotations.

Use in any combination you desire.

Example:
At google

I learned this lesson from the AltaVista search engine in the pre-google days.

As far as distractions goes, Twenty years ago I searched for PVC and there was a link to erotic clothing in the top 10 results. Care to guess which link was clicked first?

Joe; don't know where or how this should be shared but; this is good info and should be seen by many. Can you do a blog or make it a sticky.

Good info; I had a Technology class I had to take as I'm trying for my Network Certification. We we're building databases in the class; and it also involved the how to search for information and what you will return without proper phraseology. He didn't add your detailed tidbit.

kv

Joe; don't know where or how this should be shared but; this is good info and should be seen by many.

everyone can share shamelessly.

if you want to make an impact in an all male class .... your search terms should be ....
big boobs little feet :)

p.s. I don't have a clue how that will turn out.

Hola kv

Sorry but if you Google on how to search with Google (no pun at all) those tips are the most basic ones.

The key point is: way too many, maybe too little; way too much, much less than you believed expected.

I do wish people would be more helpful, after all that's why were here.. Isn't it

Amen

I would have to say out of all the forums I frequent, this one is by far the most helpful. Lots of smart people that all share the same desire to want to fix and create things.
Ok, group hug :happy:

Example:
At google

and i for one always forget these ''commands'' :D

.....otherwise regarding ''google is your friend'', i find this quite insulting, so to say, like if thread starter wouldn't even have bothered, or then replier thinks google is like mom from who you can ask ANYTHING in anyway possible and still get the ONE right answer

As a novice ... I often find googling for information is a bit of a minefield. For example, I recently googled and googled for information about a particular microchip, searching by the number and then the type of microchip but I couldn't find any useful information at all, never mind a datasheet. So I asked an expert via the forum who promptly responded with a googled datasheet .. .. somewhat embarrassed, I looked into the search that had been done on my behalf .. .. and the only difference was the substitution of the word 'chipset' in place of microcontroller.
I find terminology in electronics is a source of huge frustration .. .. .. some words in the Queen's English take on a wholly different character and meaning when a voltage is applied !

I would have to say out of all the forums I frequent, this one is by far the most helpful. Lots of smart people that all share the same desire to want to fix and create things.

I couldn't agree more with that, and long may it continue to be so ..

S

As a novice ... I often find googling for information is a bit of a minefield. For example, I recently googled and googled for information about a particular microchip, searching by the number and then the type of microchip but I couldn't find any useful information at all, never mind a datasheet. So I asked an expert via the forum who promptly responded with a googled datasheet .. .. somewhat embarrassed, I looked into the search that had been done on my behalf .. .. and the only difference was the substitution of the word 'chipset' in place of microcontroller.
I find terminology in electronics is a source of huge frustration .. .. .. some words in the Queen's English take on a wholly different character and meaning when a voltage is applied !
haha, yeah, i know this feeling too....and sometimes the one who gives that answer is like ''well of course it is bla bla....'' (not in this forum mind you!)

Googling is a mine field. From too many answers to too many distractions.

Everyone knows that people rarely get past the first couple of pages of google. Using the standard 10 results per page, that means the websites are fighting for the top 30 listings, unless they want to use google adwords to be in the right hand column.

So, optimizing your search is your best option. No one wants to waste their time looking at multiple pages at google.

No one wants to waste their time looking at multiple pages at google.
hehe, i'we sometimes wandered around 30 pages, just browsing and then started thinking ''was this really what i were looking for?''

If you search correctly, you can generally find a useful hit on the first page. If you don't, you're not using the search engine properly.

If you search correctly, you can generally find a useful hit on the first page. If you don't, you're not using the search engine properly.

And that's how a search for PVC in 1995 distracted me with erotic clothing.

Not using a search engine properly? come on Matt. I will grant you there is generally useful information on page 1. I guess it depends on what is considered useful.

I've been 30 plus pages deep looking for things at times, and I consider myself an above average search engine user. You can't tell me you hadn't went deep into the search for something that you were looking for, even though something useful was on page one.

yeah. ... that was pre-camera days. :) Actually, AltaVista was my search engine then. Google wasn't even on the scene.

And that's how a search for PVC in 1995 distracted me with erotic clothing.

Not using a search engine properly? come on Matt. I will grant you there is generally useful information on page 1. I guess it depends on what is considered useful.

I've been 30 plus pages deep looking for things at times, and I consider myself an above average search engine user. You can't tell me you hadn't went deep into the search for something that you were looking for, even though something useful was on page one.

Oh I most certainly have. My point is that the information is out there, almost guaranteed. And if you use the proper search terms, you can force it to pop up on page one. Sometimes it's a bit tricky, sometimes it's a bit of an art, but it's definitely possible. That's what I meant by "use the search engine properly".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back