Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The "Help me with my project" posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

One thing I can't help having noticed while using this forum is the sheer amount of posts we get from people who need to do some kind of project. The projects they normally talk about are usually part of some final year assignment that they've been given and, by the time they come to this forum, there's normally only 3-months or so left to do it in. Normally people have not even started development at this point and are still stuck on the "what can I do for a project" stage.

At this point these people are already quite agitated, probably having realized that unless they come up with something within the last 3 months they're going to end up failing whatever course they're doing. So they post a rather vauge description of what they want to do in the projects section of this site and then request that someone provide them with all the schematics, documentation and microcontroller software to complete the task they require.

Perhaps this kind of activity goes in phases so that we're more likely to see these kinds of posts at this time of year due to the fact that it's end of term for most universities and colleges, but it got me wondering as to what we can do to help these people. It's fairly obvious that given a 3 month time-frame and some vauge piece of information it's rare that anyone here can (or is willing to) come up with schematics, documentation and software to fit the bill, so usually a few of us will post some light suggestions and then leave the poor student to sort it out for him or herself.

I was wondering whether the site could partner up with some kind of projects website in order to offer better suggestions to these kinds of posters. For example, if we could find a few decent websites that host a number of electronics related projects covering a wide field of subjects, and obtain permission from them to link to the projects from here, perhaps Electro Tech could provide a projects listing page. Students with these kinds of questions could then be directed to this page and choose a suitable project to follow.

Just a suggestion - don't know whether anyone else will think it's a good one.

Brian

My personal view is this: These people have probably signed up for the class only to goof off in it. Thats why they want all the schematics, documentation, software, etc, because they don't have a clue what they're doing! If we give them all of that, it's a hole in one for them because they don't have to do anything :evil:

They dug their own grave . . .

I don't mind helping people who have actually put forth the effort to come up with an idea, have tried to the best of their abilities to make it work but have failed, and come to this forum for help.

But these people who type one sentence saying: I need a project, I need schematics, and I need to know how it works. (and its usually in bad english) :evil:

I totally agree with you guys!
I hate when somebody comes and wants me to do his whole project! I don't do these things, but if somebody has a problem with his project (and I can see he is trying hard) then it's worth helping him (I know he will learn something). That's my statement! :D

I agree Jay, if WE do the project, then WE should get the qualification, if the student can't come up with a suitable idea, and implement it satisfactorily, then they don't deserve to be awarded their degree (or whatever).

As you say, if they ask for help and advice on their own idea, then that's fine - but the vast majority of the work should be their own.

Phasor said:
So, are we going to come up with an 'official' line of action vis-a-vis these project posts?
Well, maybe we should add this to (or make) one Announcement and refer to it everytime somebody posts such Topic. The Announcement should politely explain our reasons not to do their whole project.
Agree with me? :idea:

I find it funny myself when I read similar posts. I don't understand why someone would just some out of the blue, and make up a stripped-down profile of him/herself and ask us to literally "think" of a project AND do it!

So, in the mean time, I simply play into their game. If they go vague, I go vague. In other words, if someone said: "I'm in a communications class. What project will give me top grades?", I would probably say "Make a radio". I did answer the question, but the answer is vague, because there are several radio circuit configurations, and several parts required to construct a radio.

I think a better idea is to modify the forum in such a way that if a certain question pattern is detected, it will direct a user to a common answer in a FAQ page.

I agree.

When someone is veg, only writting a quick sentence, then they want the whole project done for them. But when they present their schematic and explain what they have tried, you know it's a hard working student stuck on a problem.

It should be an anouncement, school problems should be explained well so that we ca assist, or the message will be deleted.

That way if someone really knows what they are talking about and is just stuck they will explain the whole situation (becuase they can). The one asking for a frebee won't be able to explain any situation.

D.J.

Ok, Announcement would be cool, the problem is they don't read them. They come, register and immediately hit New Topic... They don't bother reading Announcements or trying to search the forum.

Jay.slovak said:
Ok, Announcement would be cool, the problem is they don't read them. They come, register and immediately hit New Topic... They don't bother reading Announcements or trying to search the forum.

Yeah, they probably won't read it when they first sign up, but we refer them to it.

zachtheterrible said:
Jay.slovak said:

Yeah, they probably won't read it when they first sign up, but we refer them to it.
Yep, that's the plan :D

D.J. said:
Ya I guess no one is going to read the anouncements that soon.

Make it a big flashy message at the top of each forum, somehow to get their attention.

D.J.
I don't think that's possible with PHPbb2 ... :cry:

D.J. said:
Sorry, whats PHPbb2

Just anything that would get amediate attention, so that we can help(or most likely you guys help, i'm still learning)

Sorry my spelling is a little off, I have been up since 11:00pm last nigh and it's 2:30pm now :(

D.J.
PHPbb2 is a pre-written program (in PHP), this whole site is written in it (it is really simple to start forum like this, I have one too), and it is not possible to make any highlightnings in topic titles...

And I am sorry if my spelling is a little off too, I am not native English :lol:

Hmmm well that's a solution, but you do take a risk that some legitamte posters would get then get caught up in this situation and that might put them off the forum, which would be a shame.

If there were a comprehensive list of projects (which would obviously require partnership with a few electronics projects websites) you could at least direct these people to a single page where they can select a project which is along the lines of what they want or need to do. What they do with the information after that is entirely up to them, isn't it.

Mind you in fairness, when I've directed people to relevant project articles in the past they've been reluctant to follow them up. It seems some people aren't even willing or capable of adpating an existing project that follows a similar line of interest in order to meet their own specification, they literally want you to hand them the whole lot on a plate.

It's a tough one - maybe you should have a vote.

Brian

Maybe modify the logo from "electro tech" to "click here for important news before posting"

Again, you take the risk that you'll put legitamate people off from posting questions about projects they're working on, which would definately be a shame.

Brian

hi, i am one of the "can you help me w/ my project?' stude... well, this forum has really helped me a lot in my project eventhough nobody really gave me a complete schematic... i agree that you guys should never give all the details as we would never learn how to implement our projects if everything is fed to us. i am guilty of asking for complete works/projects but not giving me the whole details made me understand my project better...i guess not giving too much details makes you guys see who really are serious in accomplishing their projects... thanks so much for the step in the right direction guys... i hope i could be of help to others, too...

anyway, i suggest that there be a search option in the forum to make it easier to find related topics...links to electronics projects websites would be great too...and maybe some basic books to read...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back