Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Dunning-Kruger effect. What is it actually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my neighbors dog is experiencing a variation the Dunning Kruger effect.

Big dummy got a shock collar the other day and is apparently too dumb to catch on to his actions being part of the cause and effect relationship between barking and shocking.

BARK yip yip yip yip. BARK. yip yip yip yip Bark. yip yip yip yip. :p

I want to take the same drugs you do......LOL:)

I want to take the same drugs you do......LOL

No drugs here except a mix of allergy pills. This is my natural state of being. :p

No drugs here except a mix of allergy pills. This is my natural state of being. :p

Awesome, my allergy medicine does that to me, but it's just that I finally get the right amount of oxygen. That's when I can rip it up.

Cheers:)

Edit: Oh, and Dunning Kruger, some losses, and gains.

Well I do think that D K effect can be used for engineering particularly bearings........

Years or generations ago ( and remember 5 generations since the baby boomers) bearing houses and bearings companies had an over supply of EVERY type of bearing. Talking with a Timken Rep a few years ago we had a real good chat why the world was short of bearings.

I'll give an example

Some Worm drive gearbox's use a dual tapered bearing set that have a matched end float on delivery and do need to be installed correctly for the life rating of the bearing. As most gearbox's are fixed and rebuilt onsite the chances of the tradies or socalled tradie knowing the correct procedure and when the bearing won't slide on they use a sledge hammer..... A month later or less the bearing fails so the unit is pulled out of service and the bearings replaced again only this time a guy who thinks he knows his stuff decides to use an oxy torch to heat the bearing so the bearing will slide on the shaft. He rebuilds it and it goes back into service only to fail 3 weeks later. Finally the company decide to out source the pump rebuild and find it was the same cost of using the employees and find the pump runs for the full life rating of the bearing.

Now on mine sites worm drive gearbox's are used extensively so one can imagine just how many bearings have been used and abused to a point Timken couldn't keep up and what bearings were left the price and availability went thru the roof.

The year before last I went to the TAFE to ask well I've worked as a boilermaker for close to 20 years so how about my tradesman rights and get recognition for it only to be told the system was used and abused and then shutdown and I would need to do a 3 year course just to get the rights. I said for a laugh did he have some SS pipe so I can show him I could tig weld. He laughed and said whynot lets see what you can do, I prepped the pipe ends and set the pipes on stands with the required gap then looked around for the other argon bottle to use for purging, found one one on another tig machine so disconnected it and carried it over. Taped up the ends and set the flow meter and started welding.

Then the teacher came out shouting the F..K are you doing.... I said from under my welding helmet hang on as I was 1/2 way around. He waited then I said lets cut the pipe to show the inner weld so I did that and the face on the teacher showed me he didn't know squat as he asked how did I weld it on both sides. He then went to say I'll use this as an example in the class next week.

Anyway as I've said on this forum I have given the engineering career the flick as I found it impossible to get a decent job.

Now onto the 5 generations since the baby boomers, the latest one in fun circles is called 'the Useless generation' and one can easy see as we get older the younger seem to take over with less initial training but think there S..T doesn't stink. Just think in a few more years this useless generation will be world leaders and I do think glady us baby boomers will be pushing up daisies.......

Years or generations ago ( and remember 5 generations since the baby boomers)

Wow? It's been 100 - 120 years now since the 1950's?

Cripes that means it must have been at least 65 - 75 years since I was born in 1974 and being grandpa was born in the 1930's he has to be pushing 200 by now. :rolleyes:

Dunning Kruger effect in play here? :confused:

Cripes that means it must have been at least 65 - 75 years since I was born in 1974 and being grandpa was born in the 1930's he has to be pushing 200 by now. :rolleyes:

Now now tcmtech :eek:

We all have our moments of crazyness. Its not a permanent thing though. We get over it and we are fine and reason properly again.

Its those lost moments I suffer from too. I once chased a wannabe clever Newbie away. I swore at him. I was called to "that area" here where EM and Mods resolve stuff.

Worked like a charm for me. Resolved and the end of the issue.

However, unlike DK sufferers, more or less intelligent people know they have made a mistake and admit it and move on......

A DK person would not understand why. They would be offended...or something like that...I feel a DK moment coming on. Outa here ;)

Cheers guys,
tvtech

Just poking some fun.

Around here a blood generation is considered roughly 20 - 25 years and a social generation roughly 15 - 20 years.

Given the benefit of the doubt that he was using short social generations and going by the earliest range of baby boomers being from the mid 1940's yes at best 5 social generations have passed.

Blood wise I get three. My dad was one (1952) I am second generation (1974) from that and my niece is third. Four at best even if everyone started having kids early.

Just poking some fun.

Around here a blood generation is considered roughly 20 - 25 years and a social generation roughly 15 - 20 years.

Given the benefit of the doubt that he was using short social generations and going by the earliest range of baby boomers being from the mid 1940's yes at best 5 social generations have passed.

Blood wise I get three. My dad was one (1952) I am second generation (1974) from that and my niece is third. Four at best even if everyone started having kids early.

No sweat Buddy

Uhm...how is the Mrs tonight ? Maybe you are fixing stuff :D. Again.

Regards,
tvtech

Well in Utah kids are pregnant at ages 13 to 17 on a regular basis. So, if babyboomers are between 1946 and 1964 and if their born in Utah you might get 5 thirteen year olds booming out babies. :p

Edit: Dunning Kruger, advanced Logic.

Well in Utah kids are pregnant at ages 13 to 17 on a regular basis. So, if babyboomers are between 1946 and 1964 and if their born in Utah you might get 5 thirteen year olds booming out babies. :p

Edit: Dunning Kruger, advanced Logic.

LOL ;)
Love you KV.

Regards,
tvtech

No sweat Buddy

Uhm...how is the Mrs tonight ? Maybe you are fixing stuff . Again.

Regards,
tvtech

Middle of the day here. Getting ready to go t an antiques tractor show for the weekend. :D

Mrs is at work with her keys locked in her car again. (Dunning Kruger event?)

I am tempted to let her get herself out of this on her own. Doing it once or twice in a year is forgivable but making it a regular thing is not. Especially since I put a spare key on her car and she is supposed to have one more in her work desk but apparently she has already used them at some point and forgot to put them back. :mad:

This time it may have to be a tough love learning experience.:(

Middle of the day here. Getting ready to go t an antiques tractor show for the weekend. :D

Mrs is at work with her keys locked in her car again. (Dunning Kruger event?)

I am tempted to let her get herself out of this on her own. Doing it once or twice in a year is forgivable but making it a regular thing is not. Especially since I put a spare key on her car and she is supposed to have one more in her work desk but apparently she has already used them at some point and forgot to put them back. :mad:

This time it may have to be a tough love learning experience.:(

Lol....Tcmtech

Women don't always understand things properly....not like us Males..
Then again, we do things that make good Women mad...

Not DK...Just .....different?

Before anyone starts to discuss this....Dunning Kruger refers to Stupid, Morons....Women are not that. Well, yes, I have met a few Women that might suffer from the DK effect....but they are few and far between.....they are normally cuddly and warm and smell good.

Don't always act rationally though. Guys have poles. They have holes...that sometimes need to be filled...outa here again.

Woops ;)

tvtech

I went to town unlocked her car and drove off without letting her know I was there. :p

I have all of the spare keys plus a brand new magnetic key box for her car sitting on her mail for her when she gets home.

Turns out there are 5 keys for her car. One is with her the other four are here with me. :mad:

I have never had a vehicle with more than two keys until now but then I never had a wife until recently either. :(

I went to town unlocked her car and drove off without letting her know I was there. :p

I have all of the spare keys plus a brand new magnetic key box for her car sitting on her mail for her when she gets home.

Turns out there are 5 keys for her car. One is with her the other four are here with me. :mad:

I have never had a vehicle with more than two keys until now but then I never had a wife until recently either. :(

I'm supposing the car is unlocked? I might not unlock the car for one of my kids, but my wife is a different story, that's a "war" I'm not willing to start:rolleyes:

Oh boy

No further comment from me.

Good luck tcmtech. I am bailing out of this one :)

Regards,
tvtech

Good luck tcmtech. I am bailing out of this one

I tried but I am married to her. :p

Strange thing is when she got home all she was upset about is the left blinker "seems too slow".

Everything is blinking like it should by my observations. :confused:

I tried but I am married to her. :p

Strange thing is when she got home all she was upset about is the left blinker "seems too slow".

Everything is blinking like it should by my observations. :confused:

My blink rate is calculated by how many beers I consume. Their is a point where you just put them down and close the time - period.

We won't go into any of that of course.......:p

kv

Edit: um, a DK moment in time / period.
Edit:Edit: For those who don't get it across the pond, just PM me.

I try not to get into anything she is doing or talking about.

A day in my life. (She makes them feel very long sometimes.) :p

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/85531

Given the possible rhetorical event, she is speaking Womenglish, saying, I love you but, I want to have some we time, maybe with you. All work and no play leaves (Jack and Jill with no we time)

I don't know if I'm making any real sense or not, I'm just a philosopher coin - enthusiast, and friend.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back