Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Bass Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning

How I can get maximum bass effect from an audio amplifier with the help of passive components,discrete components and the circuitry ?

Thank you !

Filter out the mid range and highs; what is left?

You would bbe hard pressed to find cleaner or better components that are built into a stereo reciever\head unit and an amplifier. They make inexpensive low pass filters for the rca inputs to the amp. Anything else placed between the audio source and the amp or the amp and the speakers will just amplify the noise as well as the signal so I wouldn't reccomend it. A low pass filter if your source doesn't have one built in would be best.

I did the opposite of a lowpass filter.
I made some highpass filters but with a Q that is too high so the resulting +10dB boost at 35Hz is good sounding bass-boost.

Attachments

• Bass Extension circuit.PNG
    Bass Extension circuit.PNG
    65.4 KB · Views: 522
FMOD (Filter Module) Low Pass RCA Level Crossover
**broken link removed**

sold at most places that sell car audio equipment

That's awesome.
Visitors ask, "Where is your sub-woofer?" But I don't have a sub-woofer, just four 8" 2-way speakers playing stereo.
A 10dB boost requires 10 times the power so you can feel the bass from my 8" speakers.

Now I am getting bass effect(little) from a audio amp(KIA6283 or LA4440) with a minumum volumn level(2). After increasing the volumn level beyond 3 then my woofer's sound cracking and bass gone. Can you tell me how I can rectify it and what are the reasons ?

My driver configurations :
Woofer - 4ohms/10 watts
Tweeter - 4ohms/10 watts

Thank you !

Are you the guy who makes the pcb completely different from the recommended manufacturer's pcb design? Then your amplifiers are oscillating at a high frequency.

We don't know if your woofer can produce any bass frequencies. Many cannot. You didn't post the datasheet for the woofer but since its max power is only 10W then it is very cheap and is probably too small to produce bass frequencies.
We don't know if the woofer is in an enclosure design recommended by the manufacturer.

You forgot to post the schematics of your amplifiers in this thread so we don't know their supply voltage so we can't look at the max output power and we can't see if the coupling capacitors can pass bass frequencies.

Any amplifier will clip when its output approaches the supply voltage.

Audioguru,

I use my own power supply PCB which I have designed it for my music system. I generally make small multipurpose speaker system which consists of 2 speaker boxes and amplifier. My speaker system can run through ipod,DVD player,PC,mobile phone,walkman.etc. Now the people are asking me for more bass effect in my speaker system as I think it needs a lot money investment for R&D which right now I couldn’t afford it. I am one man army as I do all things from designing to selling for my speaker system. So I need good bass effect in my speaker system with my limited resources. Hopefully I will make it in time !

Thank you !

Again, you did not tell us the voltage of your power supply so we cannot calculate its output power. Can the power supply provide the required amount of current without its voltage dropping?
You also did not provide a link to the detailed spec's of the woofer and did not mention its size to see if it can or cannot produce bass sounds.
You also did not mention the size of your speaker enclosures to see if they are too small for bass sounds.

It is simple to make a speaker system that sounds good. You spend nothing on R&D since the speaker driver manufacturer provides a detailed datasheet, a recommended enclosure design and a frequency response curve.

How big is your woofer? to get good bass you need a subwoofer!!!!!!!!!
What frequency do you what to go down to?
Andy

How big is your woofer? to get good bass you need a subwoofer!!!!!!!!!

My stereo has two 8" woofers. They are in sealed enclosures and resonate at 55Hz. Therefore their frequency response is flat down to about 60Hz and drops at 12dB/octave below 55Hz.
But my bass-boost circuit increases the level of frequencies below 55Hz at 12dB/octave to a max boost of 10dB at 35Hz so frequencies are flat down to about 35Hz and the result sounds and feels like a sub-woofer.

My computer speakers use 3" full-range drivers with rubber surrounds and huge magnets. They produce good bass down to about 70Hz.

The "woofer" looks like a cheap little 3 inch speaker used on a cheap clock radio. Its voice coil diameter is only about 1/2 inch and its surround is paper, not rubber. It probably has a tiny magnet and probably has very poor bass response.

Your power supply has very poor voltage regulation because it uses a tiny choke and a resistor. Its filter capacitors appear to be much too small. I don't know if the power transformer is big enough since it is not shown.

If you have a sine-wave generator then you can test for the woofer resonance frequency. It should be about 100Hz or less in the enclosure for a small amout of bass or should be 40Hz or less in the enclosure for pretty good bass. I bet its resonance is 200Hz or higher like a bongo drum.

The "woofer" looks like a cheap little 3 inch speaker used on a cheap clock radio. Its voice coil diameter is only about 1/2 inch and its surround is paper, not rubber. It probably has a tiny magnet and probably has very poor bass response.

Your power supply has very poor voltage regulation because it uses a tiny choke and a resistor. Its filter capacitors appear to be much too small. I don't know if the power transformer is big enough since it is not shown.

If you have a sine-wave generator then you can test for the woofer resonance frequency. It should be about 100Hz or less in the enclosure for a small amout of bass or should be 40Hz or less in the enclosure for pretty good bass. I bet its resonance is 200Hz or higher like a bongo drum.

Just say how I can overcome these limitations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back