Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
... but I'm still waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

Nope, that won't be me. I'm in the same boat as you. Funny though, that it's the new members of society that suddenly came into riches, that seems to be the drivers of these BIG vehicles. I'm sure not so long ago they might have been taxi drivers (Referring to RSA taxi's) :D

Some vehicles are HUGE! Cadillac. Ford and a few others make very large SUVs.
the original Hummer is pretty big.

Thing is it seems these idiots driving these vehicles are trying to make up for lack of something else, then it becomes one major testosterone overflow or something, and they really become irritating.
I'll never drive a SUV, nor a grand luxury german vehicle for that matter, even if I can buy 10 of them cash.
I'll stick to what I see as the B or middle class vehicles, much more practical all round, and at half the price of the others, you can only win.
But I must say, being in the truck business I see a lot of potential in something like a F250 pick-up.

whit the exception that establish the rule, is this not a basic requirement to drive a V8 now these days :D

I think those that deem themselves as far superior to others are real idiots. And to be honest, if we look at world history, almost all nations were guilty of that at some point, but hey, we have to start growing up sometime.
Why not today.
Still, I do my best to treat others as equals, and expect the same.
And a good place to start is where we all share something, and that's the roads we travel on.
Seems that rule has gone out the book in recent times.

Still, I do my best to treat others as equals, and expect the same.
And a good place to start is where we all share something, and that's the roads we travel on.
Seems that rule has gone out the book in recent times.

I think the rule is still written in the book but people don't read it

another psygological fact is that if people step in there car they feel them self different as they are a seperate world (car) which is a stronger protected personal space as when they are out in the open so the aditude changes as they feel them more untouchable

driving a convertible is probably better for you behaivour on the street :D:D:D good reason to justify the buying of one :D:D

Robert-Jan

People in cars they are different. Truth

another psygological fact is that if people step in there car they feel them self different as they are a seperate world (car) which is a stronger protected personal space as when they are out in the open so the aditude changes as they feel them more untouchable

driving a convertible is probably better for you behaivour on the street :D:D:D good reason to justify the buying of one :D:D

Robert-Jan

Dually noted :

Kids here do the same thing it's like there own home or something you never know what's about to happen in them just give them time to do it.

Then you get the 5 foot nothing middle age ladies behind a freaking monster truck or suburban and look out cause you might be in there way.

Strange how people change behind the wheel. I seem to change according to the type of road or distance I'm traveling.

Long distances I can become an animal trapped in a vehicle.

Around town I could care less how much time it takes. Even if I go a different route to stay out of heavy traffic. Yes, it will be the speed limit but suddenly all that goes out the window as soon as I have to be on the freeway.

Average speed is at least 10 mph or 16.1 km h higher than the limit. Go figure.

I'm getting better now since I've noticed it.

kv

Women drive their huge SUVs with one hand on a cell phone and the other hand applying makeup.

Today I got behind a Chinese driving instructor. 2kmph.

From what I have seen and experienced is that when you put anyone on a motorcycle they drop a few 10 of IQ points.

Got that right. Put me on a motorcycle and see apes ride.

Back a few years ago I had to go to the Emergency room while I was getting stitched (Totally unrelated) I seen 3 Motorcycle injury's come in 1 hr intervals.

I thought back then maybe I'm from people who are motorcycle and horse riders but the whole (road) biking thing escape me at that time.

I felt that the increase of motorcycle injury's were directly proportional to the newly found enthusiasm. Very similar to what is happening now with the increase of fuel cost. This was then late 70' early 80's Regan years and Iran.

kv :D

Seen it.

Women drive their huge SUVs with one hand on a cell phone and the other hand applying makeup.

Today I got behind a Chinese driving instructor. 2kmph.

Yep, me too! I don't look good in makeup. But I look great with a French fry or a burger.

kv

I have seen and heard many motorcycles but I have never seen one have an accident.
I think the driver's beard drags on the road and keep him/her from falling over.
Even women motorcycle drivers have beards. Didn't you notice?

Robert-Jan

That's a good comment, will keep it in mind.
Maybe I must also look at a cabrio for the next family car, wonder if the whole lot will fit nicely into an Aston Martin DB9.:D

From what I have seen and experienced is that when you put anyone on a motorcycle they drop a few 10 of IQ points.

Funny, over here most bike drivers I've come across are rather decent, they can simply whoosh past the numerous traffic jams, so some people hate them.
Many times they do go too quickly, and that can be catastrophic, car drivers over here tend many times not to watch out for bikes, and knock them down.
If you buy the right bike, it's very economical also. Sport bikes have extremely expensive tyres, and they last only a couple of thousand km's also.

I'm still hunting for a source to follow what the fuel tax is doing regularly, but seems this kind of info is not really public domain.
Tax is not the largest part either, couple months back it was R1.34 per litre:eek:, while the pumps charged almost R12 per litre.
So yes, gov is ripping our guts out, but who else?

.:D

OK here some action from the goverment but still buisiness as usual

I think: they think they miss out on something ;)

probably the price will drop a 15% and the other 10% is negotiation fee

Robert-Jan

Attachments

• petrol price.pdf
    631.6 KB · Views: 402

I got myself a Kawasaki KLE 500, but not to take on our South African highways, but for the platinum refinery site that I'll be working on soon. Biking seem to be taking off in RSA, due to 1) the fuel price, and 2) the ease of getting through traffic.

I'm sitting on both sides of the fence. To work and back I drive my 2.0l diesel sedan but on weekends and for fun I drive the bike. I get more or less the same fuel consumption (16kpl on my sedan (or about 45MPG/diesel) and 18kpl on the bike (or about 50MPG/petrol))

Driving a bike in RSA you actually need to increase your IQ. You HAVE to watch out for motorists. They just don't look out for you, even with to bike’s headlight on and wearing highly reflective and bright colors. Yes, I do agree, you do get the odd ID10T on a bike, but I must admit, the ones making use of the highway have learnt to respect the road and the motorists. The do get through traffic easier, but not with the speed of light. ;)

I agree with you SPDCHK, but even in a car, you have to drive for others as well and pre-empt the stupid things they do to avoid a crash.

I did look at the bike scenario, also believe in that specific class of motorcycle you drive, and funny enough, I would probably buy the Kawa as well, but I would use it to get to work.
I must admit, in that respect, safety remains a concern.

I'll take a stab at the traffic on Monday, using my beloved Mondeo, and decide from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back