Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Torben
you mention in your post to address my energy consumption and carbon footprint This i feel I'm doing as i have a 1kilwat wind turbine in my garden coupled with a grid tie inverter and several solar panels my car runs on biodiesel and supplemental HHO im doing my best
john

HI Torben
you mention in your post to address my energy consumption and carbon footprint This i feel I'm doing as i have a 1kilwat wind turbine in my garden coupled with a grid tie inverter and several solar panels my car runs on biodiesel and supplemental HHO im doing my best
john

Awesome! Actually I wasn't speaking about you specifically, but using "you" in the general sense. Many people see this stuff and hope for a free lunch. It seems like you are simply looking for a way to go further.

Regards,

Torben

Keep up the good work.

I was blessed with similar aspirations early on when solar was supposed to take the world by storm.

Well it hasn't an slow be the progress of such lofty goals. Most of the people here won't say it but way deep inside are waiting for that one event that will change the world.

Your that part of change. Because it's followed up by action. Not just words.:)

May all your work go uninhibited. So,Good Luck ! Your going to need it.

kv

Last edited:
well hello Nigel been up in your neck of the woods today at darley dale Anyway back to the reason im posting on this forum is it possable to switch between four 12 volt batteries fast enough so a load wont notice the switch over from bat to bat

Pretty sure you can switch between batteries fast. A computer UPS switches to and from battery power, without the CPU hanging up, even running Windows (usually)...

Anyway, in my younger years, I ready everything I could find, to do with Tesla. I was fascinated by his work, in a time where his gadgets were amazing, but also the fact that he had to build from the most basic materials and tools. He even had to build his own tools and test equipment. I've always thought he could have given us so much more, if had the funds to keep his projects going. Kind of lost interest, when the only new Tesla books, were all about 'free-energy', and twisted interpretations of Tesla's work.

So, seeing your request for the Tesla Switch, which I didn't recall ever seeing before, but it's been maybe 20 years since losing interest. I had to see what you were asking about. Followed the link, didn't jog my memory, but when I got to the part about the optional heatsink, because the transistors ar switching 'cold-current', kind of figured it was crap. Been messing around with electronics since I was 12 years old, and have only encountered one kind of current. Didn't really study the circuit or text more past that, as it was getting into weird stuff. The circuit might work for switching between batteries, but must be better ways available.

Just getting into Solar myself, I can see some use for switching battery banks, rather than shutting everything down to do maintenance, or switch between solar and wind charged batteries.

Ach! Me Golden Idol is tarnished...

But, of course, the existence of such a device is even less likely then the existence of the Lock Ness Monster, Big Foot, or the Abominable Snowman.

Geez, man...ease up. I suppose next you'll be telling us some cock-eyed fairy tale about there being no Santa Claus. What's next? The Easter Bunny? Elvis?

The Tesla Legacy

...but also the fact that he had to build from the most basic materials and tools. He even had to build his own tools and test equipment. I've always thought he could have given us so much more, if had the funds to keep his projects going.

Tesla was actually a pretty practical fella and most of his work was in the work-a-day corporate world. First, for Edison and then for Westinghouse. In fact, Tesla pissed off Edison (and then quit) when he tried to get Edison to go AC (Edison was a staunch supporter of DC power, since all Edison power stations were DC). In further fact, Edison has gained quite a bit of notoriety for electrocuting animals (including an elephant) in his efforts to "prove" that AC is a dangerous, evil abomination.

I think Tesla was one of Westinghouse's chief engineers in developing some of the early AC power generation/distribution systems. Pretty down-to-earth and practical stuff.

Tesla certainly had some ideas on power distribution but, I think time and folk lore have inflated both his interest, dedication and, perhaps most of all, just how practical his dream of wireless power distribution might be (not unlike the "free energy" crowd's zeal for their pet projects). We must note that over 100 years later, even with all access to his work and advances in electicity and electronics...we're not only not doing it, we're not even seriously trying to do it.

Tesla was actually a pretty practical fella and most of his work was in the work-a-day corporate world. First, for Edison and then for Westinghouse. In fact, Tesla pissed off Edison (and then quit) when he tried to get Edison to go AC (Edison was a staunch supporter of DC power, since all Edison power stations were DC). In further fact, Edison has gained quite a bit of notoriety for electrocuting animals (including an elephant) in his efforts to "prove" that AC is a dangerous, evil abomination.

I think Tesla was one of Westinghouse's chief engineers in developing some of the early AC power generation/distribution systems. Pretty down-to-earth and practical stuff.

Tesla certainly had some ideas on power distribution but, I think time and folk lore have inflated both his interest, dedication and, perhaps most of all, just how practical his dream of wireless power distribution might be (not unlike the "free energy" crowd's zeal for their pet projects). We must note that over 100 years later, even with all access to his work and advances in electicity and electronics...we're not only not doing it, we're not even seriously trying to do it.

Westinghouse bought the patent for the AC power, after Tesla won the war with Edison, also various other gadgets to work with the AC, mainly motors and lighting.

Edison.. Jeez, wonder if anyone really knows what he actually invented himself, and what he just took credit for being built in one of his research labs. There doesn't seem to be any distinction between the man and the company. I see he more of a businessman, rather than inventor. Probably would have been a great politician.

Edison.. Jeez, wonder if anyone really knows what he actually invented himself, and what he just took credit for being built in one of his research labs. There doesn't seem to be any distinction between the man and the company. I see he more of a businessman, rather than inventor. Probably would have been a great politician.

I don't think there's any serious doubt that Edison was both a competent inventor and businessman. He had that rare gift of being able to see the potential and possibilities (both on a technical level and as a business opportunity) and also the single-minded drive and lack of conscience to force it through against any and all comers.

One thing we really do have to thank Edison for was having that attitude. Coupled with the fact that there was a flurry of patents and patent battles in that era, we have a lot of technical details that "absent-minded professors" often simply never bothered with. Case in point: What's the chemical composition of, Flubber? Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how a flakey nerd like Fred McMurray managed to have a beautiful movie starlet for a wife.

yes of course you can switch from battery to battery very quickly, and no the load wont really notice any difference (depending how sensitive it is) a light bulb switched at over 50Hz wouldn't notice a thing - or rather you wouldnt notice a thing in terms of light output.

However the batterys would still be drained just at a quater of the rate they would have. or put it this way all your doing is sharing the load, the net energy expenditure is exactly the same.

But if you want to try it then by all mean i'll help you with the circuit - its really very simple - very very simple. pm me if you want.

well god help us all I'm suprised any of us made it from the caves with such a closed attitude as you lot have
Don’t mistake our understanding of basic physics for a closed attitude.

I’m trying to figure out what leads you to believe and say the stupid things you do. Do you think we’re out to get you, or do you think you know more than us, or what?

only fifteen years ago we had no mobile phones, fifty years ago we had no t v, no aircraft no cars no electricity shall i go on or do you get the gist of what I'm trying to say
Hey Stumpy, we DID have aircraft, cars and electricity fifty years ago. Heck, we had them A HUNDRED years ago.

or is this it we as a species cannot advance any further where ho where does all the new technology come from does it not start with a wacky idea and progress
Sometimes, yes. Other times, it’s just a logical extension of some new scientific discovery or mundane blending of existing technologies.

HO AND WHO ON EARTH THOUGHT OF BUILDING A COMPUTER ASTONISING
You know, you might want to try getting a clue before you try the whole snarky attitude thing. Without one, you just sound like a petulent child.

is it possable to switch between four 12 volt batteries fast enough so a load wont notice the switch over from bat to bat
Loads don’t “notice” anything. They’re not sentient. If you mean, is it possible to switch between batteries enough so that the function of whatever it is you’re powering isn’t adversely affected, then sure… it all depends on how sensitive it is.

i firmly believe that nothing is impossible
Then, quite frankly, you are an idiot.

Some things are definitely impossible, for example flying by flapping your arms.
Some things are just unattainable with contemporary technology, for example powered flight in the 19th century.

Perpetual motion / free energy is in the first category, not the second.

again sincere apology's to anyone who may have taken offence to any of my posts I'm only here in the quest for knowledge
If that’s what you’re here for, then why do you refuse it and insult those who offer it?

my car runs on biodiesel and supplemental HHO
  1. There is no such thing as HHO. It’s a name thought up by con men for a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen.
  2. How are you producing the gas? If it’s onboard, you’re probably reducing performance rather than improving it.

Last edited:
Granted there were many things people thought were impossible but have later on been proven possible.

However somethings are impossible by common sense reasoning, for example making something from nothing. Making energy from nothing, is like making gold from nothing. I've I came to you telling you that I've built a machine that produces gold nuggets out of nothing would you believe me? If you did then you'd be a total moron.

You should give up the crackpot schemes because some things have acidentally been discovered by people trying to do the impossible.

The only thing is this isn't very likely as the days of amateur scientis discovering things are long gone.

The only thing is this isn't very likely as the days of amateur scientis discovering things are long gone.

I would disagree, many inventions are discovered by amateurs - but an 'amateur' just means someone not been paid to do the job - all inventions though are based on fact, not wild flights of fantasy.

This entire sorry thread is like the ancient alchemists trying to turn lead into gold - superstition not science.

I don't think the basement experimenter is lost. There are still many things that could be built or improved, that the big guys don't see a quick profit in. There are a lot of things that failed in the past, only because the tools weren't available, the material weren't suitable, but the idea still had some merit. The time just wasn't right. Saw something on human powered flight not too long ago. Probably not for everyone, nor would it be a replacement for regular transportation, but definitely looked looked like they could keep it in the air for a while. And who knows, with lightweight carbon fiber, micro fiber cloth, steroids and energy drinks...

"I'm flying, I'm flying!" - Wendy in Peter Pan

Some things are definitely impossible, for example flying by flapping your arms.

I have to disagree with you on that one. It's just that the activity is referred to as, "swimming" rather than "flying". Same physics but, you just have to adjust for the density of the fluid you are flying around in.

Oh, I know what you're thinking! But, consider whether hot-air balloons or the Hindenbug are/were "flying" machines....

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you on that one. It's just that the activity is referred to as, "swimming" rather than "flying". Same physics but, you just have to adjust for the density of the fluid you are flying around in.

Oh, I know what you're thinking! But, consider whether hot-air balloons or the Hindenbug are/were "flying" machines....

You can appear to make any point you want by deliberately using contrived language.

"To fly" is generally understood to mean "to move through the air without touching the ground". Definitions variously include the specification of wings or not.

You cannot fly by flapping your arms unless you change your definition of flying to skip the part about it being "through the air". Whether or not a lighter-than-air craft is really flying or not is not even germane--you cannot float in the air unaided by flapping your arms either.

"Anything is possible" is a nice bit of hyperbole to live by, in the sense in which it is meant: that one should not assume that he cannot achieve certain goals simply because they are considered difficult. It does not mean that one should leave their brain behind and think that simply wishing hard enough will give them the ability to, say, lift a large building unaided.

Torben

The practical side of semantics

"Anything is possible" is a nice bit of hyperbole to live by, in the sense in which it is meant: that one should not assume that he cannot achieve certain goals simply because they are considered difficult. It does not mean that one should leave their brain behind and think that simply wishing hard enough will give them the ability to, say, lift a large building unaided.

So, basically you are saying that the religious community is full of bovine excrement for believing that faith can move mountains?

I'm not disagreeing...just clarifying...

And, just to be ornery. I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that the time will come when airplanes will fly through the skies of Mars...even though the atmosphere is about 1/100th the density here on earth. But what about flying through the air of Saturn or Jupiter where flying, (by your definition) may very well be possible by ornithoptic arm flapping.

I would not be too quick to pooh pooh the "perpetual" dreamers. They do provide the service of making us question just how and why their schemes wont work. I'm reminded that even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Last edited:
So, basically you are saying that the religious community is full of bovine excrement for believing that faith can move mountains?

Nope. I'm just saying that believing something does not make it so. It is possible to believe something which is true, and it is possible to believe something which is not true, and it is also possible to believe or disbelieve something which cannot be (or at least, has not yet been) proved to be either true or false.

As far as how I feel about the specific question of faith being able to move mountains, again it's a figurative statement, not literal. I doubt very much that even my Grandma (a dyed-in-the-wool hardcore south Texan Pentacostal) would claim that her prayers could cause a major geological feature to change positions. That would be the literal sense, and yes, I would consider somebody who claimed that they could do that to be quite loopy--unless they could prove it.

In the figurative sense, though, the saying that faith can move mountains means only that belief in your cause or in yourself is very important. If you believe that you are destined to fail in a given endeavour, chances are that you will fail. If you believe that you can succeed if you try hard enough, chances are greater that you will succeed. But of course, no amount of belief in yourself is going to change anything externally to yourself. Only actions can do that. If you believe you can succeed, you're more likely to take those actions.

And, just to be ornery. I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that the time will come when airplanes will fly through the skies of Mars...even though the atmosphere is about 1/100th the density here on earth.

Provided we last long enough as a species to make it there with the capacity to do that, sure. No problem. I'll stipulate that this could one day happen. That has nothing to do with humans flying by flapping their arms though.

But what about flying through the atmosphere of Saturn or Jupiter where flying, (by your definition) may very well be possible by ornithoptic arm flapping.

Not unaided, no. An ornithopter needs something to flap, yes, but it does not flap human arms unless the designer is a serious sicko. A human can no more fly by flapping their arms on Saturn or Jupiter than on Earth.

I would not be too quick to pooh pooh the "perpetual" dreamers. They do provide the service of making us question just how and why their schemes wont work. I'm reminded that even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

A broken clock is right twice per day only by coincidence. If that's the best reliability that's on offer, I'll pass.

I don't pooh-pooh the true dreamers. I am simply skeptical of unsupported claims, conspiracy theories, and people whose argument about why their particular scheme will work boils down to no more than "it really seems like it should work".

When there is a well-understood and easily demonstrable reason why some idea will not work, I see no point in supporting that idea.

Torben

Which is why I specifically chose the wording “powered flight”, which traditionally refers only to airplanes and helicopters.

I would definitely call an airship a flying machine. A balloon, not so much.

Where the heck did he say that? I must have missed it. What you quoted says nothing of the sort.

“Faith can move mountains” is a metaphor. “Anything is possible” is not, so even assuming what you just said was relevant (which it isn’t), it’s still totally wrong.

I'm not disagreeing...just clarifying...
Like heck.

And, just to be ornery. I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that the time will come when airplanes will fly through the skies of Mars...even though the atmosphere is about 1/100th the density here on earth.
Yeah, and what about it?

But what about flying through the air of Saturn or Jupiter where flying, (by your definition) may very well be possible by ornithoptic arm flapping.
I doubt it, but I won’t go so far as to say it’s impossible. But since you brought it up, how about backing it up?

I would not be too quick to pooh pooh the "perpetual" dreamers. They do provide the service of making us question just how and why their schemes wont work.
Which wouldn’t be too bad if only they got the point once in a while, or had some semblance of at least having tried to do their own research. Or asked politely why they won’t work.

What I see all too often is a basement tinkerer proclaiming that he’s “almost there” and just needs a little help from some experts, and then insulting them when they explain.

I'm reminded that even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.
I’m reminded that twice a day is totally useless.

I don't pooh-pooh the true dreamers. I am simply skeptical of unsupported claims, conspiracy theories, and people whose argument about why their particular scheme will work boils down to no more than "it really seems like it should work".

Hmmmmmm...Sounds to me quite a lot like what people are going for when they pray. Of course, they have a, "real" intermediary (God) who makes it all possible. I did a post here related to that (which I coined, the x-factor) quite some time ago (it was not very seriously received).

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/the-x-factor.36547/#post285873

Aint it amazing how casually and capriciously we pick/reject our fantasies?

What do you mean you don't like the broken clock? Can you cite any other phenomena that's so consistently accurate that it's guaranteed to be correct two times each and every day?

Last edited:
Aint it amazing how casually and capriciously we pick/reject our fantasies?

I'd say just the opposite, in most cases. Once someone has picked a belief system, it's often next to impossible to get them to change their minds regardless of the evidence presented.

What do you mean you don't like the broken clock? Can you cite any other phenomena that's so consistently accurate that it's guaranteed to be correct two times each and every day?

A sundial is more accurate than a broken clock, and has the added bonus that you know *when* it's right. Looking at a broken clock to try to determine the current time does *not* work, not even twice a day, unless you have another time reference to compare it to. The clock might say 3:15 but when you look at it, it tells you nothing about what the current time really is.

Were you done addressing the actual point, then?

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back