Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Technical and Social rep points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Well it's not as cut and dry as it seems. For example, if you saw a member with 10 Gigachars and another with 10k chars, it literally HAS to mean something. And as i have said all along, i know already that it is not perfect. But that's what this thread is for, discussing what might help :)
Nothing at all doesnt help.

Yes, the underlined is true. Not sure what you assume it to mean, though.

Perhaps to facilitate discussion, can you state in a few words what you think "rep" should accomplish? Did you read what I think the purpose should be? Do you agree with that?

MrAI said:
So by your standard we should remove the number of posts too because that has no bearing on the technical merits.

Please do not distort my comments to say something I never said. If you read my comments, you will see that I explicitly state that the number of posts should be given along with the number of helped.

John

Hi,

If you read my posts you'll see that i started to draw a distinction between "rep" and "statistics". What i was trying to say was even if the stats dont help the rep, they are still interesting. So here's my summary:

1. To get a true rep number per post would require a panel of experts.
2. Since we cant get #1 we would have to do something else.
3. That something else isnt going to be perfect.
4. Stats like total characters typed would be interesting even if they dont help solve the 'rep' issue. I wouldnt mind knowing how many characters i have typed into the forum since i joined way back when, and it would be interesting to see other's counts too. The number of posts alone doesnt really say too much except that the member has been around for a while or not. It might not be that easy to implement this in the software however so it's probably a moot point anyway.

There are other more subtle problems too though. For example, several people i have helped in the past sometimes with long posts multiple times didnt even know what 'rep' was.

By stating that i 'distorted' your comments i could say that you are distorting my comments just by stating that. That's because i wasnt distorting your comments, i was simply following your logic to an end which meant getting rid of the post count too since it didnt have anything to do with rep :) I wanted to show you what you were saying by mirroring your logic to force you to see it in a new light.
So now i know for sure you want to keep the post count, that's nice :) So i guess we got that out of the way.

So you dont like any of the ideas that came up so far i guess, so now you'll have to put forth some of your own ideas about how to solve the 'rep' problem. So dont take any more time to 'critique' my 'idea' because it would probably be too hard to implement anyway. Spend your time now coming up with new ideas and see if they fly.

About 'rep' on another site...
There was a big fight on the Microchip site a long time ago. It's kind of funny to look back on it now though. One long time member signed off one night and when he came back in the morning he had almost no 'rep' (or whatever they called it at the time). They since changed the system a bit because what happened was several people conspired to lower his rep so they voted negative, all in one night.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you read my posts you'll see that i started to draw a distinction between "rep" and "statistics". What i was trying to say was even if the stats dont help the rep, they are still interesting. So here's my summary:

1. To get a true rep number per post would require a panel of experts.
2. Since we cant get #1 we would have to do something else.
3. That something else isnt going to be perfect.
4. Stats like total characters typed would be interesting even if they dont help solve the 'rep' issue. I wouldnt mind knowing how many characters i have typed into the forum since i joined way back when, and it would be interesting to see other's counts too. The number of posts alone doesnt really say too much except that the member has been around for a while or not. It might not be that easy to implement this in the software however so it's probably a moot point anyway.

You still haven't said what rep is for, yet you claim a straw-man way to provide it (underlined portion). What do you think rep is for?

So you dont like any of the ideas that came up so far i guess, so now you'll have to put forth some of your own ideas about how to solve the 'rep' problem. So dont take any more time to 'critique' my 'idea' because it would probably be too hard to implement anyway. Spend your time now coming up with new ideas and see if they fly.

I think you must have missed this post: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/technical-and-social-rep-points.130875/#post1087250

John

Hello again,

It's funny the way you talk in this thread. It's like you have every right to put down just about anything you feel like putting down but nobody else has that right. What could 'rep' mean other than technical merit as you stated in your previous post (adding perhaps accuracy to the pot)?
It's not a straw man it if is a true fact.

I think maybe it would be better if we took this conversation to PM's. I dont want to muddle up this thread any more with any minor disputes over terminology and the like.

hi,
I would only enable the Rep buttons for the OP, who created the thread.

E.

Hello,

Well it's not as cut and dry as it seems. For example, if you saw a member with 10 Gigachars and another with 10k chars, it literally HAS to mean something. And as i have said all along, i know already that it is not perfect. But that's what this thread is for, discussing what might help :)
Nothing at all doesnt help.

I see where you're coming from. However, the reason I'm a little leery of this idea is because I once saw a member come here who racked up over 2000 posts in just a few days. The posts tended to be long and drawn out, but were still utter and complete cr*p and he had red bars instead of green ones. I can't for the life of me remember his username, but if I find it I'll send you links.

I'd be happy if I could just put a personal remark or comment field under other members users names. Remind myself who I'm dealing with.

Meaning only visible to you, correct?

That could be helpful.....

hi,
I would only enable the Rep buttons for the OP, who created the thread.

E.

I've never thought of that. :)

I see where you're coming from. However, the reason I'm a little leery of this idea is because I once saw a member come here who racked up over 2000 posts in just a few days. The posts tended to be long and drawn out, but were still utter and complete cr*p and he had red bars instead of green ones. I can't for the life of me remember his username, but if I find it I'll send you links.

And then there are ones who had like 2000 words in one post. :D

I think when everything's all said and done, 90% of the guys here with excellent rep points have deserved their reputation. Seeing highly-reputed ne'er-do-wells in this forum usually ends up with the latter sitting in the corner being inactive anyway, so those kinda guys won't matter.

Viz.

Last edited:
I think when everything's all said and done, 90% of the guys here with excellent rep points have deserved their reputation. Seeing highly-reputed ne'er-do-wells in this forum usually ends up with the latter sitting in the corner being inactive anyway, so those kinda guys won't matter.

Viz.

Either that or banned from the forum altogether ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back