Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tda2822m over heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have not told us about:
schematic, supply voltage, how hot, what load (speakers), etc.

if there is any parasitic pos. feedback in signal chain (including atmospheric -- mic. ← spk. ++ all cabling/connectors/PCB-traces ) - might introduce self generating (also at ultrasonic)

(revise fine tune your design) set band pass filter to your input if needed? decouple your output through capacitors if it's not for some reason

these things (power amps) do get hot -- use better heat sinking scheme
(test out & use optimal - supply voltage and speakers - combination) . . . don't attempt to push this thing to too near or over it's limits

. . .

Last edited:
The obsolete TDA2822M stereo amplifier was in an 8 pins DIL case where a heatsink could not be bolted on.
Each amplifier could deliver about 0.75W into 8 ohms when the supply is 9V then it would be too hot if both amplifiers were playing at 0.75W each. The total heating would try to be 1.5W.
If both amplifiers are bridged and driving an 8 ohm speaker then with a 6V supply its output would be almost 1W and its heating would also be at almost 1W which is its maximum allowed heating.

whats the difference -- other people after 100-s of y-s from now are attempting to rebuild the world after ww3 - ? the radio would be hot achievement again

there are options to heat sink chips with no special mounts as pins to PCB copper grind off the capsule near dye ,fill in the hot glue, attach the heat sink

buy a ready made power-amp from the 2-nd hand market and freeze the original chip to be sold as a rarity after 50+y

Last edited:
that's the circuit. 12 volts at 700 miliamps. 5 watt speaker 8ohms. 10k pot.

never did an electronics course. I am learning as I go along. thanks for all those who replied.

Attachments

• TDA2822M-btl-amplifier-circuit.gif
    TDA2822M-btl-amplifier-circuit.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 424
The datasheet for the little TDA2822M shows why yours gets too hot:
1) Bridged (BTL) with an 8 ohm speaker and a 6V supply its output is 1.35W with horrible clipping distortion or about 1.1W just before clipping.
2) A graph in the datasheet shows that then its heating is almost 1W.
3) The datasheet says that its maximum allowed chip temperature is 150 degrees C and its thermal resistance is 100 degrees C from its chip to the ambient temperature.
4) So with 1W of heating it is near its maximum allowed chip temperature if the ambient is near 50 degrees C.

Your supply voltage is 12V which is double the 6V and the current will also be doubled then since power equals voltage times current then the output power and the heating will both be almost 4 times more. About 3 times more heating than it is allowed to have.

The TDA2822M is an old little amplifier IC that is not made anymore. Modern little amplifiers operate in class-D and do not get hot.

We speak English here. Your links had languages I never heard before and one was a horrible translation: "When first installed heatsink on the release point in TDA2822M. Use the thin Bangzha to bear."

I think the old obsolete TDA2822M should be buried and a modern class-D amplifier should be used instead since it does not get hot.

We speak English here. Your links had languages I never heard before and one was a horrible translation: "When first installed heatsink on the release point in TDA2822M. Use the thin Bangzha to bear."
we also use less than 10% of our brain capacity -- so the people who are using 100% are unable to learn new languages or use online translators or find their local city library and if they accidentally do their unable to order misc. dictionaries ...

I think the old obsolete TDA2822M should be buried and a modern class-D amplifier should be used instead since it does not get hot.
for a starting EE the class D circuit setup would be a way higher challenge -- besides if you don't push the old chip to it's limits it won't get hot but is able to play audible sound on spk. -- i have considered using such old power amp.-s to replace piezo tweeters on PC MB-s or to set up for night time listening (misc. noise regulations) e.g. the applications that are to be moderate or quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back