Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Symbol orientation in LTSpice

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
When using certain components (e.g. zener diode, pnp transistor, p-channel FET) the default orientation of the symbol is upside-down and/or back-to-front for a conventional schematic having the positive rail at the top. Ok, it's a simple matter to re-orientate them; but it would be more convenient if the default orientations were different. I've tried editing the symbols, but although they then show as I want them the problem arises that the symbol pin positions on the schematic are wrong if I view someone else's schematic on my PC or if someone else views one of my schematics on their PC. Is there a simple fix?

I think the idea is what your "supposed" to do is create a bunch of resistors in the orientation that you desire using Control+R to rotate.

And then you Drag or place the parts, not a component at a time. So, create 5 horizontal ones and 5 vertical ones. Place a grid.

Wire the components and then right click in their values.

Some CAD programs annoy me by only wanting to place the component really close to the center of the screen.

PCB layout programs act the same way.

e.g. Create a bunch or oriented parts. Arrange them on a grid. Give them values and wire them.

I get annoyed that in CAD programs why do you have to use the SHIFT key to get a straight line or one that's a multiple of 30 degrees? Why can't a shift allow you to draw say a line at 13 degrees?

The Web annoys me with list boxes for say your Credit Card Expiration month. Why do they always start at January? Why can't the initial choice be June. Then you would have to move your mouse + or - 6 rather than 0 to 12.

Last edited:
...and CTRL E flips it horizontally. With CTRL R and CTRL E you shoudl be able to orientate all components exactly how you want

you shoudl be able to orientate all components exactly how you want
I can and do. It just irks me that the symbols 'out of the box' aren't the right way round, so every time I use one of the polarised symbols I mentioned I have to rotate and/or flip it :).

[MODNOTE]Off Topic[/MODNOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

alec_t, the symbols 'out of the box' are exactly where they should be pointed... Where YOU want them to be. The simulator can't possible know the intention you have when you place a component in an active circuit the entire concept is ludicrous as it would be wrong for so many other methods that the components could be used...

You just think because you know you need to place these components outside of their defaults that of course the software must be doing something wrong =)

If you need to place a large number of parts use macro software to automate the process. There are some opensource macro programs that are very easy to script that can include HIGHLY dependent scripts for placement including keyboard and mouse strokes.

I have the same thoughts as Alec_t every time I place a pmos, a PNP, or a zener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back