Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching between the high and low horn tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

josefwbfl

I asked one before but didn’t get any help so I am trying again.

Ok here is my need.
2 horns (1 high tone and 1 low tone)
I want to be able to hold the horn button and have the horn switch between the high and low tones

There use to be a relay that could do this but I can’t find it.

Perhaps if you asked in the general section on the forum you might get better answers.

Also what you are asking for is not very clear, the better the information you give the better the answers you will get.

Is it you want the tone to swap from high to low repetitively or after a delay period or what.

A single relay wont do this and you will need some sort of circuit to drive the horns as per you needs regardless of how you want them to operate.

Try a better discription of your needs and you might get better answers.

Pete.

A single relay wont do this and you will need some sort of circuit to drive the horns as per you needs regardless of how you want them to operate.
It sounds to me like he wants the high and low horns to sound alternately: high-low-high-low...

A single SPDT relay can do it. Power into the center terminal, high horn on the N/C terminal, low horn on the N/O terminal. Use a 555 astable circuit to toggle the relay on and off. Add a switch or button to turn the entire circuit (including horn) on and off. Done.

As i said a single relay wont do this without a controlling circuit .....as you have discribed a controlling circuit.

Really we are wasting our time unless the OP can bother to explain what it is he wants.

In most countrys it is not legal to have any other switch on a horn other than the original single switch, as it is deemed as a emergency warning device.

As long as the horn defaulted to a tone of one or the other with a single push of the original horn switch then it should comply with regualtions.
But if you needed to activate a second switch to operate the horn than no it would not comply with regulations.

There used to be a siren driver chip around some years back that created a He-Hor-He-Hor, to a horn or other emitters without the need for dual horns.

There is also the air horn kits that do this as well with trumpet lengths and air flow.

Still no reason a simple 555 delay circuit wont work with dual horns.

Pete.

There used to be a siren driver chip around some years back that created a He-Hor-He-Hor, to a horn or other emitters without the need for dual horns.

I was thinking this might be similar to a siren, as well. Would it even be legal to have a horn that sounds like a siren?

Why is this any different from the wig-wag headlight circuit?

Attachments

• WigWagLights.gif
    WigWagLights.gif
    7 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Here is what I was talking about

Attachments

• Wigwag Horns.GIF
    Wigwag Horns.GIF
    8.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Status