Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest an oscilloscope from Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

Hello

I am looking for an oscilloscope. I am just myself using it, but I want something that doesnt limit me drastically, some semi professionel.
I am not so great with the features yet, the numbers and stuff, what to be sure to look for. That is where I hope you can help me out abit.
It should be able to digitally "auto find" waves, but I guess all new oscilloscopes can do this.
Thanks in advance

The Hantek seems great for the price. Though I would prefer a stationary https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hantek-602...462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4be9da26

The Hantek handheld device seems awesome.
**broken link removed**

I've heard good things about the Rigol DS1054Z. It's not really high-tech, but it's really good for the price. I recommend buying it new though, whether you find one on ebay or buy it from the website.

What's the primary signal type you intend to display and analyze?

You won't go wrong with a Tek. The 2465B is a nice instrument for the money. Stay well clear of USB type scopes, you will only come to regret it. I suppose it would really depend on what features you want in a 'Scope. If protocol analysis etc is high on your priority list, you will be wanting a Digital Storage 'Scope and not an Analog one, for example :)

You won't go wrong with a Tek. The 2465B is a nice instrument for the money. Stay well clear of USB type scopes, you will only come to regret it. I suppose it would really depend on what features you want in a 'Scope. If protocol analysis etc is high on your priority list, you will be wanting a Digital Storage 'Scope and not an Analog one, for example :)
I am working with microprocessors and square waves, I wont be making so extremely many project´s but now and then I need to measure the waves. I would like to be able to do that with high frequenzy waves, with alot of measurements done and also the auto button is very important.
The one you prefer too seems to be an analog one, that I wont be needing :) I will be choosing either Tek or Rigol it seems.
Thanks

I think I go for the Hantek
**broken link removed**
It might be a cheaper kinda China style oscilloscope, but it does have a bigger screen, more details and it is faster.
I havnt totally chosed yet, Rigol seems great aswell, but has such a small screen compared to the Hantek.

And for me as a novice:

HELP SYSTEM

Super cool is the built in HELP SYSTEM. The HELP system provides relevant on-screen help at any time simply by pressing the HELP button. Basicly, this feature has made it almost unnecessary to refer to the manual ( the manual is supplied as a pdf file on a CD). Super feature and made getting used to the Hantek DSO5102B a snap. I can imagine this feature being extremely important to anyone who does not have a lot of experience using digital storage oscilloscopes.

Last edited:
I dont' recommend the Hantek. I've seen several reviews saying that it is very poor quality, some of the holes for the front panel are cut off-center, and the overall feel is very cheap. If you only need a 2-channel scope, go for the Rigol DS1052e, as suggested before. I have one as well, and it should work fine for your microcontroller applications.

I think I go for the Hantek
**broken link removed**
It might be a cheaper kinda China style oscilloscope, but it does have a bigger screen, more details and it is faster.
I havnt totally chosed yet, Rigol seems great aswell, but has such a small screen compared to the Hantek.

And for me as a novice:

HELP SYSTEM

Super cool is the built in HELP SYSTEM. The HELP system provides relevant on-screen help at any time simply by pressing the HELP button. Basicly, this feature has made it almost unnecessary to refer to the manual ( the manual is supplied as a pdf file on a CD). Super feature and made getting used to the Hantek DSO5102B a snap. I can imagine this feature being extremely important to anyone who does not have a lot of experience using digital storage oscilloscopes.

The 1052e Has this I think, but its actually pretty intuitive if you've used a scope before. Even if it didnt have a help menu, the on screen graphics give an good feel.

I have a rebrand of the hantek, its a instrustar, looks exactly like the hantek.
It has a dds func gen built in.
Its quite good when it works, however as soon as I do something that generates any electrical noise it shuts down and I have to cycle its power.
Maybe the hantek has better quality control.
Watch out for usb 'scope, a lot of them only have dc coupling.

Ok I will reconsider again. Really the same components inside, is all from china or similar. The product outside doesnt make the difference. Though if the hantek´s firmware keeps crashing, that should be a really good reason for picking the Rigol.

Go with the Rigol, watch EEBlog Dave DS1052e or DS1054z review on youtube. I bought a DS1074z-S and it's great. IMHO the DS1054z is an unbeatable value. I wanted the signal generator built in so I got the 1074z-S instead.

If you're only doing micro controller things and no analog you might want to get a Bus Pirate as it's pretty handy and cheap.

Yes assuming the firmware is the same thats a reasonable assumption.

Go with the Rigol, watch EEBlog Dave DS1052e or DS1054z review on youtube. I bought a DS1074z-S and it's great. IMHO the DS1054z is an unbeatable value. I wanted the signal generator built in so I got the 1074z-S instead.

If you're only doing micro controller things and no analog you might want to get a Bus Pirate as it's pretty handy and cheap.
Signal generator is like a frequenzy generator?
I would like this aswell. Especially if it has many features, so that I dont need a frequenzy generator besides the oscilloscope.
I am gonna work on a project with band passs filters. So I need also frequenzy generator.

If anyone know of a cheap Rigol with signal generator. Right now my head is pumped, reading up many guides, lead me to keep away from the Hantek now, even though it is so pretty and cheap.

Yes, it's an arbitrary signal generator but the integrated version isn't as sophisticated as the standalone one. It is convenient though.

Just get the basic DS1054z or a used DS1052e $250 or so.

PS they're scarce because of a glowing eevblog review. It might take a couple of months to get.

Last edited:
Too bad you don't live in the US at the moment I am cleaning out my shop and I am giving away a few of my Tektronix dual trace scopes to anyone who will give me a good story as to why they need a scope and would pay the shipping for one.

The screens are good and everything works but they all have a scratchy knob or two that need replacing.

Too bad you don't live in the US at the moment I am cleaning out my shop and I am giving away a few of my Tektronix dual trace scopes to anyone who will give me a good story as to why they need a scope and would pay the shipping for one.

The screens are good and everything works but they all have a scratchy knob or two that need replacing.
Ya I think the shipping costs to europe is quite high.
My story is, that I have a project in mind, where I have to get 20 different band pass filters to work besides each others, and also I am gonna work with some I2C 3 wire bitbanging :)

I ordered my DS1052E from Batronix and very glad I did.
Please check this link. Great price, free shipping to Denmark, excellent customer service.
https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Low-Cost-Oscilloscopes.html

The fan is loud but that can be fixed. However the warranty will end if you do open the unit.

This looks very interesting! 299 Euros
https://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Rigol-DS1054Z.html#yoReviews
Yeah that is a very good price, within EU with free shipping. With frequenzy genereator I think... (channel waveform generator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back