Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Substitute for 2N2222

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfaqueahmadbari

I have seen many circuits using the 2N2222 transistor (correct me if it isn't one). one of them uses it to control electrical appliances. It says it can be substituted by a BC148. So I just wanted to know can the BC148 be used as a general substitute for 2N2222 or is it just the case in this one?

Here's the schematic

https://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/computersimages/1.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I have seen many circuits using the 2N2222 transistor (correct me if it isn't one). one of them uses it to control electrical appliances. It says it can be substituted by a BC148. So I just wanted to know can the BC148 be used as a general substitute for 2N2222 or is it just the case in this one?

Here's the schematic

https://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/computersimages/1.gif

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

hi,
You can get both datasheets from DatasheetArchive :: Free Datasheet Search Engine :: Electronic Components
and compare the specification.

Check the Ic's max rating, 100mA BC148 and 600mA for the 2N2222

Last edited:
The 2N2222 can be replaced without problems by the BC337. The 2N2222 has a TO18A package (similar to TO92, but metal can) and the BC337 has a TO92 package. That one can handle up to 800mA.

The BC148 was used 44 years ago. I have some. It has discontinued about 34 years ago.
The latest one is the BC548 in a TO-92 case.
The 2N3904 is the same but its collector and emitter are reversed.
Use a 2N4401 if you want the same high output current of an old 2N2222.

You may use 2N3904
In the OP's circuit this is true because it only needs to pass 60 mA. However the 2N3904 is not a universal replacement for 2N2222 because of a lower current rating.

If you need to drive lots of current, use a ZTX649, but I would not reccomend it as it is very expensive.

In the OP's circuit this is true because it only needs to pass 60 mA. However the 2N3904 is not a universal replacement for 2N2222 because of a lower current rating.

It also has a slightly lower GBWP but this isn't important here.

I wonder where you live? If you cannot find 2N series there then you never cannot find a BC148 series out there.

The BC148 is very old as Audio mentioned but 2N series is commonly available.

Last edited:
I wonder where you live? If you cannot find 2N series there then you never cannot find a BC148 series out there.

The BC148 is very old as Audio mentioned but 2N series is commonly available.

They may be commonly available where you are, but BC series transistors are commonly available in Europe, which is where they come from - far easier than non-European 2N series.

They may be commonly available where you are, but BC series transistors are commonly available in Europe, which is where they come from - far easier than non-European 2N series.

BC 148/158 were also manufactured in India and now a days, we get BC547/BC557 and BC548/BC558- in local make as well as Philips, in TO92 case.
the 2N2222 and likes are also made In India and from Taiwan.
Industrial usage, they prefer metal can and for commercial, TO92.

Nothing to worry where the transistors came from.Job,price & availability is more important.

2N series more common than some BC series (BC148) including OP has "seen many circuits using the 2N2222 transistor"

I thought the Ic Eric was talking about was collector current. Alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back