Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

streaks in my flat screen tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dust/smoke gets on the tubes of the backlight and causes the shadows.

It's not on the tubes, it's on the back of the LCD, or (more likely) on (or in between) the diffusers - even with one tube completely not working it has a pretty minimal effect on the picture, the diffusers are that good.

I GUESS I HAVE FIXED THIS PROBLEM.I WENT TO WALM ART AND THEY HAD A CONTEST FOR THE CHECK OUT PEOPLE WHO COULD GIVE OUT THE MOST CREDIT CARDS FOR WAL MART.SO I GOT #$800.WITH IT BEING BLACK FRIDAY AND THE 50in sanyo plasma tv on sell for $479.i could not pass up that deal.and from what i understand from the other post this should not be a problem since the plasma tvs are sealed? thanks for all your help allthough no one was ever able to help that much at least you guys did take the time to look at the problem and try to figure it out for me.sory about the caps i did not notice befor i started.

I GUESS I HAVE FIXED THIS PROBLEM.I WENT TO WALM ART AND THEY HAD A CONTEST FOR THE CHECK OUT PEOPLE WHO COULD GIVE OUT THE MOST CREDIT CARDS FOR WAL MART.SO I GOT #$800.WITH IT BEING BLACK FRIDAY AND THE 50in sanyo plasma tv on sell for $479.i could not pass up that deal.and from what i understand from the other post this should not be a problem since the plasma tvs are sealed? thanks for all your help allthough no one was ever able to help that much at least you guys did take the time to look at the problem and try to figure it out for me.sory about the caps i did not notice befor i started.

Plasma are sealed (as they work on about half atmospheric pressure it's pretty well required :D )

They have their own problems though.

It's not on the tubes, it's on the back of the LCD, or (more likely) on (or in between) the diffusers - even with one tube completely not working it has a pretty minimal effect on the picture, the diffusers are that good.

Nigel, thank you for this! I'm going to take it apart and try to clean it!

so what kind of problems should i look for in my new tv and what if anything can i do prevent them? i cant afford to go out and buy a new tv every couple of years so any help would be great and maby some one else can also get some help.

so what kind of problems should i look for in my new tv and what if anything can i do prevent them? i cant afford to go out and buy a new tv every couple of years so any help would be great and maby some one else can also get some help.

Nothing you can do really - but decent TV's generally last pretty well, Samsung seem designed for a pretty short live though.

i am sory if i said i bought a samsong i bought a sanyo.that is the same brand as the lcd i have now.i am hoping the plasama from sanyo will hold up better.i have heard that the plasma dont last as long as lcd but what does that realy mean.i got the lcd 4 or 5 years ago and it had allready started to going downhill i dont want the same to happen with this tv.please let me know if you think i should have bought the extended warranty.walmart sells one that would in efect last 4 years for $80.i figure that if the tv dies then i will buy another one the problem is will this tv last that long?

i am sory if i said i bought a samsong i bought a sanyo.that is the same brand as the lcd i have now.i am hoping the plasama from sanyo will hold up better.i have heard that the plasma dont last as long as lcd but what does that realy mean.i got the lcd 4 or 5 years ago and it had allready started to going downhill i dont want the same to happen with this tv.please let me know if you think i should have bought the extended warranty.walmart sells one that would in efect last 4 years for $80.i figure that if the tv dies then i will buy another one the problem is will this tv last that long?

I didn't know Sanyo even did Plasma?, I thought all manufacturers had dropped it now except Panasonic, Samsung and LG?.

Statisically Plasma have been less reliable than LCD, a major reason is probably their higher power consumption and running temperatures.

$80 for a 4 year extended warranty sounds a pretty decent deal, a single fault in that time is certainly going to cost you more than that.

I'm very anti-smoking - a disgusting habit with affects all around

VERY, VERY common - nicotine running down the LOPTX and round the CRT causes arcing, this commonly destroys the LOPTX, and on odd occasions arcs so badly from anode cap to aquadag that it's softens the tube.

New meaning for a smoking LOPTX. You are funny.:D.

Cheers Nigel

Nigel - Is there anything special to watch out for while cleaning the diffuser and back of the screen? This TV has been replaced so if I break something it's no big deal. Just wondered if there were any do's and don'ts involved. Thank you

Nigel - Is there anything special to watch out for while cleaning the diffuser and back of the screen? This TV has been replaced so if I break something it's no big deal. Just wondered if there were any do's and don'ts involved. Thank you

Examine it carefully to see how it comes apart, make sure you take it apart in the correct sequence (if you can figure it out) - and do it in a clean room with plenty of space to lay things out.

I've recently replaced a duff tube and burnt-up PCB's in a Sharp LCD - it came to pieces pretty easily, the front screws you needed to take out were marked, and the entire front LCD section lifted off exposing the diffusers. I can't comment on how easy a Samsung might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back