Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

streaks in my flat screen tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

bammthis

i have a 47in tv.it is a samsung and i bought it about 3 years ago and about 6 months ago it started with a small blmish at the left side of the screen.since that time the blmish has grown into a smugy sterak that is growing from the top of the screen going down the screen like a lighting strike. is this something that happenes in these type tv or have i bought a tv that allready worn its selfe out?if you have any thing you can offer please let me know.

bammthis - I have the same problem, TV about 3 years old also. Do you smoke? I was told it is smoke particles getting on the back light of the LCD screen, not covered under extended warranty I bought.

bammthis - I have the same problem, TV about 3 years old also. Do you smoke? I was told it is smoke particles getting on the back light of the LCD screen, not covered under extended warranty I bought.

This is why I asked if it was LCD or Plasma, Plasma have sealed screens (due to the way they work), LCD aren't sealed.

Smoking kills TV's as well as people - and from a warranty point of view it's misuse. Coal fires can cause similar problems to TV's, and I've heard of (but never seen) insects getting inside.

lcd tv not plasama

` i have a lcd tv not plasama.i am not a smoker so that cant be the problem.i will give a better try at giveing all i know about the tv.as far as i know it is a sanyo 47in lcd flat screen hdtv.it has 3 video outs and 3 hdmi outs.i have a sony surond sound with 4 speekers hooked up as well as a samsung blu-ray player hooked up .i also have one of the hdmi outs hooked up to my computer.as fat as the streeks go they are not visable all the time.if the color in the seen is bright they are harder to see where as black and white they streek through half the screen i will try to get a pic and post if you need any ohter info please let me know and i will do my best to get it to you.i took a pic but u might not be ble to see much.i think that the more the tv is on the worse it gets.since i am disabled and stuck at home most of the day it gets bad later at nite and i am writeing this in the eirly afternoon.if i can get a better pic i will post asap. i have just taken a look at the pic i took and u can see the streeking i am talking about look at the mid part of the screen.

i would be happy to post a pic i took the pic and thought it uploaded guess not.if some one will send me a link to this sights aera that will alow me to do the uoload i would do it right away.i will also check after i post this maby i can find it in the sight?i looked but have so far been unable to figure it out.thanks for the look so far and if there is any other info u might need then just let me know and i will send it right away.

the pic u ask for

i hope this will post the pic u have ask for.the streeking should be fairly easy to see if not i will take another one.the phone i have does not have the best camera i will have to bresk out the other camersa if this does not work for u.

Attachments

• 1119101411.jpg
    1119101411.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,391
bammthis - Do you smoke? I was told it is smoke particles getting on the back light of the LCD screen, not covered under extended warranty I bought.

That's new to me. I smoke like a chimney (especially when working on a computer) and my 4 year old Acer's backlight is still good.

Sounds like a bucket of tripe to me.

Cheers

No, smoking kills TV's just as it kills people.

Smoking kills people. Agreed. TV's nah :rolleyes:

The only way that's going to happen is if the customer never cleans the front of the screen. Could be layers of Nicotine stuck there.
I fixed a Service Contract customers TV way back in 1994. They were complaining about a "dark picture". Took a white rag with some Meths and cleaned the (glass) screen. After the first wipe the cloth was already brown with Nicotine.....

Took the TV back to customer and they were gobsmacked with the nice and clear/bright picture. Never told them they smoke too much and clean too little...

Cheers

Last edited:
not sure

i am not sure what it is i am supose to take away from the thinhg that have been writen.are u telling me that the tv got dust in it or what.no one has ever smoked around my tv so it cant be smoking.

i am not sure what it is i am supose to take away from the thinhg that have been writen.are u telling me that the tv got dust in it or what.no one has ever smoked around my tv so it cant be smoking.

It could be dust, even insects have been known to get inside - it's hard to tell just from a photo.

You have obviously had much less TV experience than me then :p

CRT sets - causes EHT arcing, LOPTX failure, and I've even seen CRT failure caused by smoking.

Common Nigel...get real seriously. LOPTX failure or CRT failure....:p

You are just anti - smoking. Admit it mate:)

Or just causing havok with my brain ?? Arcing too ;). Common

Cheers

Jeez, I need a chick with nice tits. Been a while now.

Last edited:
Common Nigel...get real seriously. LOPTX failure or CRT failure....:p

You are just anti - smoking. Admit it mate:)

I'm very anti-smoking - a disgusting habit with affects all around you.

However, that's got nothing to do with the effect it has on TV's - and CD/DVD players as well.

Or just causing havok with my brain ?? Arcing too ;). Common

VERY, VERY common - nicotine running down the LOPTX and round the CRT causes arcing, this commonly destroys the LOPTX, and on odd occasions arcs so badly from anode cap to aquadag that it's softens the tube.

That's new to me. I smoke like a chimney (especially when working on a computer) and my 4 year old Acer's backlight is still good.

Sounds like a bucket of tripe to me.

Cheers

Look at the back of your monitor, there are only vents in the middle of the back surface. Now look at the back of a LCD TV, the whole back is full of vents. The vents on the top edge are open directly to the screen and backlight. there is about a 1/16'' gap between them that lets smoke or dust or what ever in there.

The dust/smoke gets on the tubes of the backlight and causes the shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back