Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Still Trying to come up with a cruise control that works on an off road vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you still using the hobby servo? Is the throttle return spring strong enough to return it to 0 when the servo is disabled?

Are you still using the hobby servo? Is the throttle return spring strong enough to return it to 0 when the servo is disabled?

Yes, using hobby servo, yes, spring is strong enough, however, I have added a relay to cause the servo to drive to the home position.
I got it finished today and took if for a ride and it works very well, it will even work without the vehicle being in gear, and that's something most cruise control can't do. It still needs some tweaking, it only goes to 40 KPH as set now, but that may be alright, for a while. It also needs more aggressive feed back from the tach side of the inputs, lost 5 KPH going up an incline, but overall, I AM VERY HAPPY with it.
One of the strange things though is, I have several SMPS on my rig to drive LEDs lighting and any time I turn any of them on, the cruise control quits. I didn't leave the lights on to see if it would recover, that will happen another day.
The reed switch came out of an old Sony telephone and operates at a little less than 5 volts and is used to input the correct voltage to the comparator to create a 2ms pulse which sends the servo to the home position and closed throttle and as it turned out, the correct voltage was very close to the servo operation voltage, so I just fed that in when the Run signal is gone.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy,
Kinarfi

Last edited:
what fun would any of that be, It would be like marrying the ugliest and sloppiest of the opposite sex in town because it's easy instead of keep trying for the prettiest, most wholesome partner of the state, or country.

Uh, you got that backwards. What applies to women generally does not apply to electronics.

Its your money, your funeral, and your Darwin award when yours goes Toyota on you right off a cliff! :p

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I revisited what Ronv suggested and redesigned and rebuilt my cruise control, again. Here's the .asc file and my drawing of it.
Needed to go to a bigger wheel on the servo to get the RPMs up where I wanted them. Works good in the garage, test drive tomorrow.
Kinarfi

Last edited:
Update, works great, I can set the RPM to say 3000 RPMs and point it up the hill and let the clutch out and away I go, it droops a little under the load of a hill, but not nearly as much as a static hand throttle.
Happy, happy, joy, joy,
Kinarfi
Work great for cruising down a road for long distances too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back