Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Step up flat coil. Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I want just to know if there is possible to build a voltage step up transformer flat coil. I don't want the ordinary transformer.
Also, I would like to know how to make the calculations and what things I need to have in mind.

I refer to this kind of flat coil:
29f30ch.jpg

Should be. There are several pieces of equipment which form the turns of a transformer on a PCB and use a two-part ferrite core which clips together through cutouts in the board.
The only problem seems to be that you can't get very many turns so you'll be restricted to rather high frequencies. Also, I don't know how easy it will be to find these two-part flat cores.

What primary voltage?
Why?
What secondary voltage?
Why?
What current?
Why
What frequency?
Why?
What turns ratio?
Why?
What impedance ratio?
Why?
What application - power, signal conversion, impedance matching...?

ak

Yes you can, only if theres no core leakage will be very high, most of the ingoing power will be lost, but then it depends what the trannys for, that might be acceptable.
Wind the primary and secondary both wires together, or bifilar.
Because the tranny is flat if the secondary has a lot more turns it will end up a long way off the primary, this will much worsen the coupling, it probably wouldnt do much more than light an led.
I'm guessing this is for wireless energy transfer.

Welcome to the forum.

Ignoring ferrous cores for the moment and just assuming air coupling...
If the secondary is in one plane and the primary is in another, that will allow you to use much finer wire for the secondary. Then you can get a significantly high turns ratio while still keeping the primary and secondary windings the same diameter. If the windings are pressed closely together, then it is possible to get a reasonable coupling coefficient.
You'll find that it's counterproductive to have the winding go right down to the centre. For maximum efficiency, you should keep winding width to less than 1/3 of the average winding diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back