Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Start from the beginning. I want to randomly fade leds

Status
Not open for further replies.
This mess started because 3 different people pushed for 3 different languages without asking the OP what languages he knew.

One even suggest basic was so easy and that it did not matter what the OP's language of choice was.

3v0:p

The old grey mare is not what she used to be.

Curious about current draw

Burt, how did you arrive at 90mA? By my calculations, using the 390 Ohm resistor, each LED is using 12.8mA when on (5V/390 Ohm). 19 steady LEDs will pull 19 times that amount, so 244mA. When all 26 are on, that's 333mA, or a third of an Amp. Obviously this isn't happening, but calculations say this is so. Whatever it's pulling, the LEDs are nice and bright.

Any enlightenment is welcome,
kenjj

Neelyjer I tried glass fiber and a red led it didn't work. But clear tube and with a red led both ends worked so I would say it works like I said 2 red leds and 2 blue and 1 high bite green take a look if you put three together it would look just like what they did and the pwm

Attachments

• ledlite.JPG
    ledlite.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 457
No
Burt, how did you arrive at 90mA? By my calculations, using the 390 Ohm resistor
I looked up your board and read the datatsheet for it you didn't post no
calculations
you just said it had 390 ohm resistor chip on it. That 8 to 10 390 ohm resistors in 1 chip

you sitting in front of this**broken link removed**

And you never read this
General-purpose I/O pins, Analog or Digital pins. Max for each pin is; sink 25 mA and source 20mA.
Total for all pins should not exceed 50 mA (sink) and 40 mA (source).
or void the Warranty

Last edited:
Ah, yes, bitten by the obvious AGAIN!

The LED drops 2 Volts, so the resistor drops 3V. Thus, 3V/390 Ohm = 7.7mA. That, times 26 LEDs, equals 200mA. That's within specs. Pfft, brain glitch...

No, Burt, I am NOT sitting in front of that baby board. Think EZ PIC4. This board is still in development, and I am assessing it for the designer. I am supposed to stress it and take readings. I have had ALL 32 LEDs lit at once AND all the segments in four 7-segment displays. And everything lights up nicely. Of course, the Vcc drops to the point where the GLCD won't function. And you wouldn't want to linger when grasping the regulator. But, surprisingly, the processor doesn't heat appreciably in the first minute, which is all I care to risk.

Never ceases to amaze me how quickly people resort to spitting contests in these forums.
kenjj

You don't figure current that way and Like I said read the datasheet I even posted it for you. The drop doesn't happen with one led if you use a 390ohm resistor with a led at 5 volts the led gets 12.8 mA your atom can't lite 20 of them from the pin at full brite
Your the one doing all the spitting I was just stating what Neelyjer ask

Last edited:
Neelyjer I made a little video you can see how it would work with the clear tude and pwm
with all 3 colors it would be cool. [embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/uBH0uhQt6t4&hl=en&fs=1[/embed]
And there using a lot bigger tube

Last edited:
Neelyjer I added green and blue leds [embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/BT6DrGk3RcM&hl=en&fs=1[/embed]

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone. I apologize if I wasn't clear before. I am really looking for the simplest solution to fade LEDs on and off. I don't know alot about electronics beyond a theory class I had in college a few years back, so I thought programming a chip to do what I want would be easier as I have some background in programming. Financially I can't afford the necessary equipment to do any programming, so I've been looking into other solutions.

I've been fiddling around with 555 timers on my breadboard and I am awaiting delivery of some LM358 ICs as the Radio Shack near me does not carry them. Unfortunately the LM358 ICs are coming from China so delivery is slow. In the meantime, I have come up with the following modified schematic that will hopefully provide the outcome I am looking for. I am still a bit unclear on how all the circuitry of this schematic works as it is modified from an existing schematic, and my knowledge of how all the pieces in the schematic actually work is quite limited. I found the original schematic here. The schematic is the same, only I have moved the parts around to get a better idea when it comes time to etch traces.

Here's my 'modified' schematic... If you see anything wrong or have any suggestions, please feel free to comment!
**broken link removed**

Neelyjer I added green and blue leds [embed]http://www.youtube.com/v/BT6DrGk3RcM&hl=en&fs=1[/embed]

That effect is almost exactly what I'm hoping for, only with multiple LEDs and with different colored LEDs illuminated at the same time. What did you do to get that result?

Thanks everyone for the comments!!

Remy

Last edited:
only with multiple LEDs
it is I just lit them one at time so you could see it better. I posed how to make the tube here it will make any color it's rgb so if you lite all leds it yellow. A pic would be the easy way to go.They don't cost that much to get started you can get a pickit2 with a board to play with for less then $50.00.Any way you can make that circuit and use this tube here how i made it https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/a-pic18f1220-and-a-clear-tube-led-fader.91332/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back