Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SSB Carrier Supression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a bit of a joke. Have a laugh! ;)

Attachments

• arisen.jpg
    arisen.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 201
Who is Frank? Is that SV? Funny that he has preached a pretty good Christian lifestyle on this forum, yet he is willing to abandon his christian posture when it comes to things like vows of marriage, (for better or worse) over a car. Seems hypocritical to me.

I guess some just use Christianity when it is convenient to their views or motives.

Wasssup, you may only be 19, but I think much of what you said was very wise. You have a good head on your shoulders.:)

Hey thanks Mikey :)

Not to worry. I try to be a good Christian but I still get mad. I'm only human.

Yes Frank.....How do you do?

Last edited:
Waiting on trimmers from Futurlec and still have not bought wire or cores/toroids. Guess I'm not in a hurry at this time.
I'll post when I do something :)
Don't hold your breath.

Hey what's the story here?
I am not able to read these 46 pages, So can somebody clear me about the reality of this thread?
46 pagess!!! Too much for the ways of SSB carrier supression or maybe that is a completely new way as I am looking at in the above picture, lol.

This thread morphed to be the thread from hell several months ago, do try and keep up. ;)

Lefty

Wizard it's definitely too late for this thread, turn around and run away fast before it get you too! Some of us have been trapped here for months.

Last edited:
Who would have thought that stun guns would have taken a back seat? :)

Last edited:
Hey thanks Mikey :)

Not to worry. I try to be a good Christian but I still get mad. I'm only human.

Yes Frank.....How do you do?

Fair enough. :)

Oh, and I do fine, Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Wizard it's definitely too late for this thread, turn around and run away fast before it get you too! Some of us have been trapped here for months.

LOL! Actually me & flat5 are working on an rf energy beam we call the "Round-Up". It can go through walls and find you and suck you into this thread. :eek:

There actually is a conclusion to the original question or thread topic.

It was found that there are many factors that will effect the amount of carrier suppression. One of the most critical turns out to be almost a side issue and that is "copper" or "skin" effect. Because rf frequency travels through the air, then even at minute power levels the same thing will happen with circuits in close proximity. Therefore the shielding techniques must be strategically thought out. Consider the circuits involved in creating an SSB signal. We have:

1. A carrier oscillator

2. A balanced modulator circuit

3. Audio amplifiers from the microphone

When looking only at the skin effect, we should not consider the crystal or digital filter at this point. What we want is the cleanest most suppressed double sideband signal as possible. It was found that one of the best methods is to isolate the balanced modulator from the audio & carrier oscillator. They should be in separate grounded compartments. This way the carrier rf energy can be directed to the proper port of the balanced modulator through shielded coaxial cable.

Another key area to consider is the output of the crystal filter. Even with a small level of rf carrier signal being fed to the balanced modulator, the rf skin effect can ride around the crystal filter and manifest itself as undesired carrier energy. The solution I used was to amplify the output of the balanced modulator thereby creating an DSB signal with a much greater power level with its minute carrier ratio that is much larger than the in coming carrier oscillator signal to the balanced modulator. Now the skin effect is at a much lessor db level and becomes negligible. Any amount of attenuation used will attenuate both to where the skin can be brought to zero if fed into another shielded compartment through coax.

Then the only other consideration becomes the width and offset of the crystal filter and the efficiency of the balanced modulator. In a diode ring type like single balanced or double balanced modulator the diodes can be replaced for maximum suppression.

Last edited:
Hi.

I do not know what's the story here which caused this thread to reaches to 47 pages!!
But I have a question regarding to SSB with Carrier in contrast to the subject of this therad.
I just want to know the ways of creating SSB-WC.

Thanks

Hi.

I do not know what's the story here which caused this thread to reaches to 47 pages!!
But I have a question regarding to SSB with Carrier in contrast to the subject of this therad.
I just want to know the ways of creating SSB-WC.

Thanks

Well, essentially SSB is an extremely efficient form of AM transmission both in power consumption and frequency bandwidth. It was actually discovered many years back. I think about the 1940's but others may have an exact date for that.

The actual subject of this thread was to be what to look for in producing best results for suppressing the carrier and one sideband. Today there are many methods to do this but probably the most common is to use a balanced modulator circuit to null out the carrier and by using a crystal filter set for about 2KHz bandpass the carrier can be further attenuated along with the undesired sideband. Without the carrier the transmitter will have no output unless voice modulation is applied which makes it highly efficient though the power amps and final must be biased to something more linear than a class C amplifier as is used in FM. Usually you want class A amplification with SSB.

Speech goes up to 14kHz for the very important consonants. Vowels go up to 2kHz. Can anybody be understood if they are speaking only in vowels?
I heard some ducks quacking when some SSB recordings were played. I heard only a couple of English words.

Speech goes up to 14kHz for the very important consonants. Vowels go up to 2kHz. Can anybody be understood if they are speaking only in vowels?
I heard some ducks quacking when some SSB recordings were played. I heard only a couple of English words.

Well you should love it then because everybody sounds like Scrooge McDuck.

Merry Christmas Audioguru and everyone! :D

SV, Good to still have your SSB input.

Guru, as expected. Quack Quack.

With "guru's" explanation I can hear it without even knowing what the h... their talking about.,

Either way, Merry Christmas to everyone.

kv

Edit: SV you were faster than me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back