Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiko said:
You will need a voltmeter and them you have to tap the signal from the GPS then run your bike on a jack and measure the voltage for each gear.

ok i'll try as soon as i can in this way but if you hear the taht the voltage is the same it il be accepted!!!!!!

:D :D

really thanks for your help!!!
i'll make a state in your honour here in italy:D :D

fxvxca said:
ok i'll try as soon as i can in this way but if you hear the taht the voltage is the same it il be accepted!!!!!!

:D :D

really thanks for your help!!!
i'll make a state in your honour here in italy:D :D

All right try to find a pink wire from the GPS connector (right side of the engine) to the ECU. May be you have to lift the fuel tank, but in my bike I can see that connector just under the tank from the right side. I was taking a look on GSX-R service manual and I'm almost sure the GPS is the same with same voltages, but you will have to tap the pink wire anyway so measure the voltages first.

Kiko said:
All right try to find a pink wire from the GPS connector (right side of the engine) to the ECU. May be you have to lift the fuel tank, but in my bike I can see that connector just under the tank from the right side. I was taking a look on GSX-R service manual and I'm almost sure the GPS is the same with same voltages, but you will have to tap the pink wire anyway so measure the voltages first.
Yes, I think all the Suzuki gear position sensors (and voltages) are the same - I have the SV1000S and does have the same voltages as your TL.

D.

fxvxca said:
hi in wich page did you see the voltage, i was asking to a friend to check in it's bike....

You can't find it on the service manual but the GPS check procedure on GSX-R manual is the same on TL1000 manual so that's why I sad I'm almost sure...

Attached you can find a GPS test according to GSX and TL service manual.

Attachments

• GPS.pdf
    135.6 KB · Views: 555
See attached how this project should be. The numbers are just a example.

Next time it's going to be GLCD, I hope...

Attachments

• panel.JPG
    panel.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 368
Nice work guys!! I have simulated the circuit with Proteus however I cannot get a conversion to MPH to work properly.

Whenever I divide the KMHT variable by 1.609 I either get the KPH or I get the MPH with the decimal places, depending on where I put the conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Sputnik said:
Nice work guys!! I have simulated the circuit with Proteus however I cannot get a conversion to MPH to work properly.

Whenever I divide the KMHT variable by 1.609 I either get the KPH or I get the MPH with the decimal places, depending on where I put the conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

I'm using these lines in my program...

Dim mph As Float
dim dmph as dword
'
'
'
mph=KMHT*0.6213712
dmph=mph
if dmph<10 then
Print At 2, 1, " "
Print At 2, 3, DEC dmph
endif
if dmph<100 and dmph>=10 then
Print At 2, 1, " "
Print At 2, 2, DEC dmph
endif
if dmph>=100 then
PRINT AT 2, 1, DEC dmph
endif

See if this help

Can somebody help me with my tachometer project now?

It works on the bench simluating the 'Tach pulse' with a switch and a 10K resistor to ground. But when I take a wire from switch to the bike tacho wire the PIC doesn't register any pulses.

I've got the whole circuit running off the bikes battery. The wire I'm taking from the tacho gives a nice 5v square wave, frequency changes with revs on a scope.

Should I junk all the simulation stuff, switch, 10k resistor and just run the tacho wire straight into the PIC like kiko's diagram shows for speed pickup?

quickrik said:
I've got the whole circuit running off the bikes battery.

You do have a 5v regulator for the PIC? Just checking.

Having the 10K resistor will just help the signal to be pulled down faster, its a nice to have as you don’t know what the internal circuit for the 5V pulse generation is.

Be sure to use a Pin from PORTC etc, with Schmitt triggers. By doing so, your signal will be a lot more accurate

Last edited:
Yep I've got a 7805 to feed the PIC, failed to mention that. Quite an alarming ommission.

And yep I'm using RC0

Any other ideas I'm really stumped?

By simulating, I guess you mean your simulating the same pulse (frequency/amplitude) as that given by the bike?

With that in mind, and the fact that both the PIC and the signal share a common ground (as the PIC is powered from the bike), then your circuit should work.

What is your code? Are you getting accurate simulations (and are they real life simulations?)

In truth what I'm doing is far from simulating. I'm just clicking a button (and at nowhere near the rate the bike pumps them out.

My code is in C. I've tested it in MPLAB SIM at 3000rpm seems okay.

What I'm going to do is simplify the code to make it flash an LED or something when it gets a pulse. that should proove if pulses are getting into the PIC.

Sputnik said:
Thanks, that worked!!! I see what to do now!!!

Also, does wheel diameter matter with this design?

Yes.

The formula is:

Temp_Float=(Temp_Float*4)*X

(Where X is your wheel diameter in KILOMETER*3600)

quickrik said:
Can somebody help me with my tachometer project now?

It works on the bench simluating the 'Tach pulse' with a switch and a 10K resistor to ground. But when I take a wire from switch to the bike tacho wire the PIC doesn't register any pulses.

I've got the whole circuit running off the bikes battery. The wire I'm taking from the tacho gives a nice 5v square wave, frequency changes with revs on a scope.

Should I junk all the simulation stuff, switch, 10k resistor and just run the tacho wire straight into the PIC like kiko's diagram shows for speed pickup?

In the beggining I had an opposite problem you have now... So, the circuit killed the signal to the bike's RPM gage, I was using if I remember a pull down resistor like yours. Now I'm using a RC filter (attached) and it's working very nice. You can use it either for RPM and Speed signal.

Attachments

• imagem.JPG
    imagem.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 339
Kiko said:
Yes.

The formula is:

Temp_Float=(Temp_Float*4)*X

(Where X is your wheel diameter in KILOMETER*3600)

OK, thanks. However when I calculate it doesnt seem correct!!!

Say I have a 22in wheel

Kilometer conversion: 22 * 0.621 = 13.662 (some decimal places omitted)

13.662 * 3600 = 49183.2

49183.2 !!!! That cant be correct!!!!

Am I missing something???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back