Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speed of O-scope electrons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Cotter

I have an old HP O-scope out of which I am making a JJ Thompson charge to mass ratio experiment. Does anyone know about how fast the electrons are moving when they leave the electron gun?

Hi, normally speed of electrons is same as that of photons i.e. light and it is 3x10E8 m/S.

electron speed

I don't know about the HP O scope, but if it uses a normal, electrostatically deflected, oscilloscope tube, the electrons speed will travel at nowhere near the speed of light.

The usual arrangement in the gun is that electrons leave the cathode relatively slowly and are attracted toward, and accelerated by, the anode and controlled by the grid in the same manner as a thermionic valve (tube). There are additional anodes which further accelerate and focus the beam.

In some 'scopes, there is a final anode after the deflection plates. This has the advantage that deflection is done when the electrons are moving relatively slowly and deflection is easier, then finally accelerated to max to hit the screen.

Yes, in normal case speed of Electrons is that of light but you can control their speed. I was talking about the normal speed and not in O-Scope.
Thanks for pointing pebe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back