Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectacular Tesla Coil Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menticol

Last edited:
Your suggestion should be heeded by the inexperienced, of course. But, for the experienced, it could be built.

Be thankful they're in the middle of a sparsely populated area. A coil that large probably blacks out the AM band within a few dozen miles, every amateur radio operator on the wider AM band probably had a noise floor increase or outright blackout within a few hundred miles. And since it's at night, if you knew what you were listening for you could probably have picked it up from 500+ miles.

I understand the fascination with high voltage like this, but it serves no function... It's like fire, there are pyro's that just want to burn things down and make bright lights, and there are artists that want to use to proper application of explosions to perform a needed and useful functions like building destruction and mining, or controlled forest fire burns to prevent the spread of wild fires. Or proper use of high voltages and currents, such as a welder, EDM machining, plating, plasma sputtering and the like.

I know that all sounds a little cheesy, but why is often more important than how, or what. Einstein said as much on several occasions. These toys are cool to watch, but isn't it cooler to do something with that large power, rather than just creating and audio and light show?

I often thing these types of things are overlooked on technical forums, buried in people demanding results and answers to their questions and projects rather than the why of what they're doing.

Last edited:
I know that all sound a little cheesy, but why is often more important than how, or what. Einstein said as much on several occasions.

You are right, there is almost no useful application for a Tesla Coil other than entertainment (except on Tesla's days, when it was a somewhat viable form of data transmission along with other uses).

But as I said, is pure Entertainment. And again, the best is reserved for the end! :)

YouTube - Twin Musical Tesla Coils playing Mario Bros

Your suggestion should be heeded by the inexperienced, of course. But, for the experienced, it could be built.

I know. But the HV section disclaimer is not operating yet, so is a form of "protection"

Last edited:
You are absolutely right, there is no useful application for a Tesla Coil other than entertainment (except on Tesla's days, when it was a somewhat viable form of data transmission).

That is not quite true. Tesla coils are or were used to find small leaks in glass vacuum equipment. The test is usually done in a darkened room. The HF from the Tesla coil creates a plasma with the rarefied air at the leak and points to the leak. It is quite sensitive.

John

Edit: The units we used were about a foot long and looked like a large flashlight with a metal probe on the end.

Last edited:
Look up Plasma speaker, same thing. Plenty of videos.

Last edited:
did none of you play RED ALERT 2? Tesla Coils served such a wonderful purpose! :) Zaaaap!!!

Last edited:
I use to have about a dozer Tesla Coils from desk top size to my largest 10" coil. I sold them all but 2 on ebay. Here are some photos. I have tried many times to take video but for some reason my electronic video camera will not show the sparks and arcs.

This is my 10" coil. It produces 12 ft long arcs. The sphere on top is 3 ft diameter so it will produce a circle of sparks 27 ft diameter in the back yard. **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

They are fun to build and fun to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back