Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering station information request

Status
Not open for further replies.

123mmm

Hello,
I have a Gordak soldering iron and I want to build a circuit to control this soldering iron.
I chose the attached schematic.
Unfortunately, I did not found the needed triac at the store (TR1).
1. What substitute do you recommend for this triac ?
2. Does R5 protect the soldering iron from overheating if the thermocouple is accidentally disconnected ?

Attachments

• 2-205fb21fbb.jpg
    2-205fb21fbb.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Hello,
I have a Gordak soldering iron and I want to build a circuit to control this soldering iron.
I chose the attached schematic.
Unfortunately, I did not found the needed triac at the store (TR1).
1. What substitute do you recommend for this triac ?
2. Does R5 protect the soldering iron from overheating if the thermocouple is accidentally disconnected ?

A TIC206 is a VERY, VERY common small plastic thyristor, if your store doesn't keep it then they probably don't keep any at all, order it on-line.

You are correct about R5, it turns the element OFF if the thermocouple goes O/C.

1. Assuming that I have a new schematic, can R8, R7 be safely replaced by 3k3 and R19 be safely replaced by 2k2 ?
2. What is the functionality of IC1B, in the attached schematic ?

Attachments

• schematic_correct.pdf
    357.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
1. Assuming that I have a new schematic, can R8, R7 be safely replaced by 3k3 and R19 be safely replaced by 2k2 ?

Yes.

2. What is the functionality of IC1B, in the attached schematic ?

No idea, it's output isn't going anywhere, the only thing I can imagine is that it's used as thermal feedback for the entire IC, bearing in mind they are all on the same chip of silicon. Or it's a rather silly method of getting rid of the unused fourth opamp? :D

Does the above schematic have protection for soldering iron overheating if the thermocouple gets accidentally disconnected ?

I built the attached schematic, and I made a PCB by copying the pcb from the image. I found that it works. I used a Gordak soldering iron

I set the maximum temperature from W2 (approx. 8-9mV) and the minimum temperature from W4 (approx. 19.5mV). Is that correct?

Attachments

• pcb_correct.pdf
    902.3 KB · Views: 131
  • schematic_correct.pdf
    357.1 KB · Views: 125
Does anybody know which trimmer is for setting the minimum temperature and which trimmer is for setting the maximum temperature ?

Does the schematic has a power off mode for the soldering iron when the thermocouple voltage rise above a certain value ?

Last edited:
Hello,

I built the attached schematic and I wanted to find if the TL431 oscillates, using an oscilloscope.
I tested by connecting the ground probe to the 220uF capacitor ground and the detachable hook to TL431 catode.
The measurements were made when the soldering iron was connected into the circuit.

Can you please explain if there are oscillations in the screenshots ?

Attachments

• schematic_correct.pdf
    357.1 KB · Views: 129
  • MAP001.jpg
    MAP001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 125
  • MAP002.jpg
    MAP002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 132
Hello, Does Rx1 (100k at the thermocouple amplifier block) protect the soldering iron from overheating if one or both thermocouple wires are disconnected ?
The project is from: http://electronics.vlzqz.com/home/lm324-analog-soldering-station

Also, I saw that using MOC3041 makes the LED flashing at a higher frequency in comparison to when using MOC3021. Which one, between MOC3041 and 3021 is recommended for this project ?

Attachments

• lm324_schematic.PNG
    lm324_schematic.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back