Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Tracker Using 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sle7in

This is actually my FYP and I have a lot of trouble doing this...
Can anyone check on my circuit and tell me whether I need to do some change or not....

Problems:

1) I've simulate the sensor part which using LDR connected to 555 timer...can check my circuit??
2) I've also simulate the motor part which using CD 4017 and stepper motor...can check my simulation??

I'll attach some file regarding my project....

Attachments

• Timer A.JPG
    Timer A.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 10,771
  • Help me check my work.....doc
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,268
  • stepper_motor_cd4017.jpg
    stepper_motor_cd4017.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 8,802
  • psm circuit.zip
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:
ermm..sorry....actually my idea is to use 555 timer and LDR...can you help me verify this circuit???Is it correct or I need to do some changes???

Attachments

• Timer A.JPG
    Timer A.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,814
For a start, you need a reversing circuit.
If you are not prepared to take any advice, you are wasting our time.

Is it possible he's using a servo and trying to vary the mark-space ratio to control it's position? I've seen 555's used to do that before, although not with LDRs.

I've simulate the given circuit and it work...But, I need to push the button to move the motor...My project title is automatic solar tracking system using 555 timer..How I want to make it automatic??huhu...sorry...

I found the solar tracker using 555 timer and it also describe how it work. this is the link...is it can really work???

1) **broken link removed**

2) **broken link removed**

making it automatic with less delving with electronics and more into processing means that you will want to use a microcontroller, like a PIC16F or PIC18F or anything else for that matter. That is relatively complex if no one around you knows how to play with it. IF there is someone who knows how to use it, then you can ask for quick basics and start processing data from a number of LDRs which will triangulate the position of the sun. I'm telling this to you as a person who plays with microcontrollers and sees things from a programming perspective (although my programming stinks), not fine electronics. If you want to keep it simple without the mastery, you can build the circuit Colin gave you, build and rebuild on a breadboard until it works.
If you're ready to bring this to another level, go to this site: WinPicProg Page
Automatic control of motors are quite dependent upon programming when you have lots of conditions, rather than pure parametric electronics.
Just my opinion.

The circuit is unusual. I can't quite make out what it's supposed to do. Maybe an explanation would help.

Thanks Vizier87...
ermmm...about the link I give just now, is it possible to built the solar tracker using the circuit given in the page???
It also work automatically..

Timer in post #6 looks OK. Timer in post #1 is just bizzare. Which one do you mean? I'm very confused. Also, I don't think 4017 circuit works as described. Maybe it's my lack of coffee this morning, but it appears to be flawed, logically.

It's been awhile since I looked at how unipolar steppers work, but I think you should get a good basic tutorial and doubly check the logical operation of the 4017. It just doesn't look right to me.

Conceptually, the project makes sense, but the details don't look right.

Last edited:
Thanks BrownOut...Sorry for the explaination...which one do you mean looks OK??The circuit which using 2 timer???
Sorry, I don't get it...huhu

Ermm, actually I also not familiar using stepper motor...So, I need some guide to construct the motor part for my solar tracker..

About the 4017, I've asked someone and he said that using 4017 will make it easier and he said that the circuit will have no problem...Is it really work???

After reviewing unipolar steppers, your 4017 might work,but in one direction only. My problem with this project is that I cannot see the whole system, even in the links provided. You might try to get the horizonal portion working before trying to build the vertical portion. Also, I don't see how the system resets at the end of the day.

This can work, but the details are important, and I don't see enough details yet to evaluate it.

Thanks brownout....
If I don't want to use stepper motor, can I just simply change the motor with another type??

Okkeyy....huhu...my brain just mess up right now...what I need to do with my project...I need to submit 2 month from now...still doesn't have any progress...can guide me???teach me even the basics???I really stupid student....

No I cna't. Sorry. Ask your instructor; that's what he gets paid for. If he can't help you, either you have the wrong instructor or you've chosen the wrong course of study.

Learning electronics requres a tremendous commitment. You must have the initiative to do ALOT of research. Google can be your friend here. There are lots of different turtorials available. But don't depend on any circuit you see to work properly. Always do your own analysis before building.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back