Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar pannel calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetwo

Hi,
I am new to solar pannel application on inverters, and I am about to use it in a 3.5kVA inverter.
I have no idear of the calculations involved in getting the suitable watt of solar pannels.
I need enough power to charge a 12V 200AH battery together with supply.
One more thing, do I need a PWM before feeding the Inverter?

Where did you get 3.5kVA?

How long do you want to it to take to charge the batteries? What is the other load while the batteries are being charged?

I already have a 3.5kv, 220V inverter. and I want to charge the battery for 9 hours. the load during charging is about 200wat 220V.

Hi Georgetwo,
With a 12 volt 3.5KW inverter at the maximum the current from the 12 volt battery/batteries will be around 300 amps. In order to supply this sort of current long term will require a battery bank with a min 1600AH with a heap of batteries in parallel. As far as the pv to charge nothing under 3KW will be enough. I would suggest you have a backup generator to kick in when your single battery goes under 12 volts which will be every time the inverter is used.

I've lived off the grid for over 7 years and our house array is a 2400 watt inverter 12 off 2 volt 600ah sonnenschein batteries in a 24 volt array along with a 1.3 KW pv array. For backup I have a 80 amp forklift style battery charger which runs off a petrol generator. I do expect our battery bank will last another 8-9 years as we do make sure we don't deep discharge them.

For the input current you will need to run that inverter PV alone won't be enough so a wind generator will be a good option and just hope the wind blows enough to charge your battery.

If you want any help please be a bit more specific and I will be happy to guide you.

Regards Bryan

my battery doesn't last long but the sun is quite high and I dont use more than 200w both day and night .I am not so sure of the watts of pv to apply. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back