Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar and wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

puravida

I'm trying to add a 1KW wind generator and a 1KW Solar
Should I use 2 different charge controllers? does any one know

I know solar chargers are built to get the most out of a cell. They try to keep the cell working at its 'sweet spot'.
Wind generators also have a 'sweet spot' where you are trying to get the most out but keeping away from stalling the blades.

For both generators, if you try to get too much power out, the voltage drops to 0.

Ideally you should use two different ones, yes. As 'ronsimpson' was saying, solar charge controllers (specially MPPT type solar charge controllers) are specially designed to have the solar panel(s) operate at the optimal voltage and current while the battery bank is operating at another. The most common charge controller that come with wind turbines are basic load diversion . Essentially all they do is as soon as the battery bank is up to voltage, the power from the wind turbine gets diverted to a large resistor that just burns off the energy. More recently, similar MPPT controller technology has been developed for wind turbines too. For instance, I know that a US manufacturer, Midnite Solar, recently came out with a solar charge controller that can be used for wind (or hydro) turbines and takes advantage of the MPPT technique. Here's a site that shows a few versions of their model:

It is better two have controller that's optimized to the type of "generator" (i.e. wind verus solar) since they do have different ways of optimizing their charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back