Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft starter and variable speed control for AC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

123mmm

Hi. I just found and built the attached schematic. It is a soft starter and a speed controller for AC motors. I checked the circuit and it worked with 70W/230V light bulb and then with a 720W angle grinder.
For making the soft starter working, I needed to make it start in the same time with the grinder, so I connected a new 3x1.5mmp cable from the grinder's switch to the circuit. Please find attached the connection schematic.
I would like to ask a few questions about this circuit:
1. Does the connection of the motor is correct ? I have 2 wires going from the switch to the stator windings, then from the stator windings 2 wires are going to the brushes. Is there any better solution for connecting the motor ?
2. Does the connection of the switch is correct (B1 on the schematic) ?
3. In order to turn off the circuit, does it needs to be disconnected from both wires (live and neutral) or it is Ok to disconnect only one of the wires ?
4. When I first opened the angle grinder's case, I found an 0.22uF/275V capacitor. I would like to know if this capacitor is still needed there ? If yes, then how can I connect it to the motor ?

Attachments

• variable_speed_ss.jpg
    variable_speed_ss.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,789
Last edited:
Apparently it is a Universal motor, if 120v NA you only need to switch one conductor (Live), the field should remain in series with the armature, normally a simple triac or SCR following a bridge (for DC control) is all you normally need.
Max

If I do not use the soft starter, then the motor starts suddenly when button pressed and it shakes my hand... this is why I am using this circuit...

Apparently it is a Universal motor, if 120v NA you only need to switch one conductor (Live), the field should remain in series with the armature, normally a simple triac or SCR following a bridge (for DC control) is all you normally need.
Max

Hi MaxHeadRoom78 !

Do you have a link to such a minimalistic soft starter for 240V / 2000W ?

Last edited:
I don't have anything on file, but most of my projects now I try and solve using a small Picmicro, there is a SCR/Triac control app on the micro site.
Also there is the Fairchild app notes AN-3006 & AN-3003 to build off of, if needed.
Max.

I don't have anything on file, but most of my projects now I try and solve using a small Picmicro, there is a SCR/Triac control app on the micro site.
Also there is the Fairchild app notes AN-3006 & AN-3003 to build off of, if needed.
Max.
Yuo write "there is a SCR/Triac control app on the micro site" ... where is that site ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back