Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So How Fast is Your Internet Speed? Test here & Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Korea?
hahaha NO! May be if I would be a North Korean, I coulnd not be here in such public discussion forum. I am feeling amazing that why we never find Korean, Chinese, or Japanese member in such forum?

Do you want to guess again? Hehe

I have to ask.

How many here need more than a 20 - 30 Mbps down and 2 - 3 Mbps line for home use and if so what for?

I've got 40 - 60 down and for the life of me I can't plug it up no matter what I try!

High quality video and gaming consume the most.

https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/306?ba=GSButtonClick&q=bandwidth use
https://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/tp/how-fast-does-your-network-need-to-be.htm

Streams provided by commercial groups are still low quality even in their HD modes. 40 Mbs is more than enough bandwidth for single instance "Super HD" streaming with their current technology. Most folks seem to be fine with DVD level quality.

https://hdguru.com/blu-ray-vs-hdtv-streaming-services-a-quality-comparison-review/

Private groups can stream quality far higher, e.g. AVCHD aka home video bluray. A native file with minimal compression in 1080p is ~15GB/hr. At 100Mbs it would take 20 min to download, 2 min at 1Gbs. For 3D video, double it. So far, such stuff is not main stream because of the network requirements, fast PCs for software players, and larger hard drives to store the data. Its here today, but only power users are using them.

I have to ask.

How many here need more than a 20 - 30 Mbps down and 2 - 3 Mbps line for home use and if so what for?

I've got 40 - 60 down and for the life of me I can't plug it up no matter what I try!

I'm happy with my 2Mb down.. olympic broadcast stream works fine etc. no problem. I don't play online games.

I just tested from my computer at Agilent.
44m and 55m that is 50x what I get at home.
I remember 110 and 300.
The first time we chatted with another university....110....and we were very excited. Back then you called up the computer lab in another school and got them to connect up the modem. At night we could call 800 to 800 (tole free) and not have to pay phone line charges.

Mine has taken a tumble since I left the UK.
Down - 1.99 Mb/s
Up - 1.20 Mb/s
I can't watch a YT vid for more than 10s before the buffering starts.

I think you've got your upload and download the wrong way round :D

Nice speeds though - I only get about 2Mb/s and 0.5Mb/s - but it's been reliable for a good few weeks now.

Old quote, but I was wondering why everyone else has up-speed limited so low? I have 2mb down and 50mb up.. I do not see much point why should up-speed be limited.

Bad day for me.

3330880593.png

Old quote, but I was wondering why everyone else has up-speed limited so low? I have 2mb down and 50mb up.. I do not see much point why should up-speed be limited.

Hi

I'm curious as to why your upload is higher than download? Unusual..

Typically, most IP traffic is TCP based, and there are various data transfer protocols used (like sliding windows).
But, the short story is...there are typically more download operations from the user community than upload operations, as a result, there is much more frames being received by the end user than transmitted. ISP's take advantage of this by providing an asymmetrical bandwidth service (download BW is typically higher than upload). It helps the ISP conserve available bandwidth.

eT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back