Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slug fence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been awed by diatomaceous earth, also in roach proof, it gets in the joints of insects and wears a hole in the exoskeleton and they dehydrate. Doesn't seem like it would work on mollusks?

I saw slugs on TV crawling over razor blades without a care, its something to do with the thick ooze they make underneath themselves, they don't actually contact the ground.

I doubt anything "sharp" or "dry" is going to do the trick.

Hi all,

I inherited a garden with good soil, lots of insects, slugs and snails, weeds, and even slow worms. This is why I don't want to add anything or take anything away, especially salt. All I have done is clear a 10 x 15 foot of soil, dug it over and planted vegetables. I didn't intend to be 'green' but it turns out I am. So far every plant I stuck in the ground has come up, and there are loads of pollinators including bumble bees and hover flies. Many of these creatures make their nests in the ground, under rocks or even in my old damp shed, so I'm sure as I do any modernization, I bet I see less of everything, just like the wildlife I remember in the 50s, before modern building and farming.

Back to the 'Fence' ! I don't think dissimilar metals develop enough voltage for my attackers. I had to make this quickly, as I don't have much time at the moment, but i think there is a case for a more complicated circuit, as I get 5 or 6 small slugs stuck on the track every morning. I notice the dead ones have almost made it in, and don't know why they don't turn back like the larger ones do.

Perhaps if someone wants to have a go at a circuit, this would be welcome. Bear in mind that if water or soil or debris gets on the track it changes the resistance. If a persistent slug gets zapped, it stays there till dried out. If the tracks are more than 'say' 1/4 inch apart, the smaller ones if coming at an angle can cross. I think a gap in the base between the tracks would help or perhaps 2 X suspended wires would be good. I think the tape that has been mentioned would dissolve under the slime voltage/reaction. (not sure)

So far one has breached the defenses and was frazzled on his way out, 1 square inch of leaf gone.

Cheers, Camerart.

Last edited:
How about several tracks of alternating polarity? Then if they get past the first pair there's another zapping.

I was under the impression that it's snails that damage plants, but slugs mostly eat dead stuff. But snails are cute, slugs are slimy, and I'm probably misinformed.

I read that diatomaceous earth will keep fungus flies out of house plants. Now I know why!

Anyone know if strong electric fields are a slug deterrent? I have in mind an insulated wire at >1kV placed in contact with the soil.

Anyone know if strong electric fields are a slug deterrent? I have in mind an insulated wire at >1kV placed in contact with the soil.

Interesting!

Update, I have to clean the tracks of bodies some mornings, which is inconvenient, apart from that it's working fine.

Apart from today I found a CAT has found my patch, so now I want a cat deterrent :(

Cheers, Camerart.

Interesting!

Update, I have to clean the tracks of bodies some mornings, which is inconvenient, apart from that it's working fine.

Apart from today I found a CAT has found my patch, so now I want a cat deterrent :(

Cheers, Camerart.

I started to worry about when even bigger animals will find their way. Even higher voltages? :p :p

Cats are easy enough to scare away - a 25KHz tone with lots of power should do the trick - either PIR activated or just set up to go off at random intervals.

You only want to scare the poor ikkle moggy mind, not deafen the poor thing!

Cats are easy enough to scare away - a 25KHz tone with lots of power should do the trick - either PIR activated or just set up to go off at random intervals.

You only want to scare the poor ikkle moggy mind, not deafen the poor thing!

I always need to wait before thinking how to deal with "poor ikkle moggies" It takes at least 1/2 a day before I come down to a solution, that won't have the police round.

I've nearly made a PIR activated water valve, that's fair isn't it?

I'm interested in the 25Khz solution, but how will I know it's working, I probably only go up to about 10K these days:) Do you have a circuit?

Cheers, Camerart.

You can buy off the shelf cat scarers.

I'm told orange peel and coffee grounds both act as moggy deterrents.

I'm told orange peel and coffee grounds both act as moggy deterrents.

As earlier in the thread, I don't consume enough, coffee, eggs, salt, etc to cover the area, and I don't want to put anything on the garden.

(For cats) It's a toss up between, water, 25Khz and 25Kv at the moment. In that order:)

Cheers, Camerart.

A dead washing machine could donor a water valve with a convenient connection, and a garden waterer could be used to make sure you hit the target.

As for ultrasound, you can buy motion operated devices from ebay for cheap money probably less than the parts to build one, they tend to be battery operated, but a couple of wires an a solder iron could easily connect one up to a power poack or vehicle battery.

Lion pee extract. No kidding.

Then I'd be attracting lions instead of cats:)

I made a quick PIR activated motor inside a food box, with spinning string and knots at each end, I heard it rattle twice last night, and no cat poo this morning.

Cheers, Camerart.

A dead washing machine could donor a water valve with a convenient connection, and a garden waterer could be used to make sure you hit the target.

As for ultrasound, you can buy motion operated devices from ebay for cheap money probably less than the parts to build one, they tend to be battery operated, but a couple of wires an a solder iron could easily connect one up to a power poack or vehicle battery.

I have a Wheelchair battery, with solar panel, a PIR and a 12V valve, if the rattle doesn't work. Thanks.

No slugs today!

Camerart.

This kind of thing can often cause some remarks from cat lovers, however we have a right to a cat pee free home, and if it doesnt hurt the cat.
My last house had a garden that smelled like a 50 year old toilet that had never been cleaned thanks to cats, fortunately I no longer have a problem like that, I can now grow tomatoes and vegetables.

This kind of thing can often cause some remarks from cat lovers, however we have a right to a cat pee free home, and if it doesnt hurt the cat.
My last house had a garden that smelled like a 50 year old toilet that had never been cleaned thanks to cats, fortunately I no longer have a problem like that, I can now grow tomatoes and vegetables.

It's sometimes difficult, but I try to be tolerant of most 'wild life' and it's not pee that appeared next to my lettuces. It would be fine if they were kept in their own gardens as dogs are, to do what they like.

Cheers, Camerart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back