Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slight RANT about KiCad v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsfoto

Hi,

I really do not design many circuits but like to draw them in a correct way and therefore I downloaded a fes years ago KiCad v2. Everything was nice those times and I was even able to solder my circuits on perforated boards with copper dots on the bottom part.

OK, now I am making a new one and decided to download KiCad v4 and OH surprise I find it worse then the previous v2

Is v4 really a step foorward or a step backward ?

In v4 I do not even find a simple vertical resistor footprint with 1/10" wire separation. I have no problem to make own footprints but then it is a Walk to Canossa to understand where to save the custom made footprint. You have to learn to set Paths and I do not know what else ...

What is your opinion ?

What I have been doing now is to take a look on many other circuit schema and pcb design software packages but everything is more or less SNAFU so far

:arghh: :arghh: :arghh: :arghh: :arghh:

Anybody has a good recommendation for an absolute novice ?

Just started to look into DesignSpark from RS ... looks for me like a good alternative to KiCad v4 ... Eagle by far too much complicated ...

Saludos from Mexico

Hi rsfoto,

I have to say Kicad 4.0 is pretty awesome. I have achieved more in the latest version of Kicad then I have in previous versions of EagleCAD and I'm not limited to board size or layers.

For projects that I'm doing I use PTH (Plated Through Hole) I'm not going to use SMD for bench and tutorial pcb's. So my projects exceed EadleCAD's size constraint.

Check out Walter Kicad Library at http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm Walter libraries are better than Kicad original in my opinion

You will find a pre-made vertical resistor footprint in mod_pth_resistors.zip and a 3D render in 3d_pth_resistors.zip

If you need to tweak them you can. Best to save the tweaked version in your own library.

Regards,
Inq

Hi rsfoto,

I have to say Kicad 4.0 is pretty awesome. I have achieved more in the latest version of Kicad then I have in previous versions of EagleCAD and I'm not limited to board size or layers.

For projects that I'm doing I use PTH (Plated Through Hole) I'm not going to use SMD for bench and tutorial pcb's. So my projects exceed EadleCAD's size constraint.

Check out Walter Kicad Library at http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm Walter libraries are better than Kicad original in my opinion

You will find a pre-made vertical resistor footprint in mod_pth_resistors.zip and a 3D render in 3d_pth_resistors.zip

If you need to tweak them you can. Best to save the tweaked version in your own library.

Regards,
Inq

Thanks Inq,

The vertical resistor was just an example ...

Now last question and maybe you can help me with some screenshots. How do I easily set the Paths in the KiCad v4 ?

Seems to be a Sisyphus Job and in the KiCad forum there seems to be nobody able to explain that easily ,not even the programmers of that software ...

Thanks a lot and regards Rainer

There are several places within Kicad that you set paths to make it all come together.

One of the things Kicad does is allow you to assign any two hole footprint to any two pin component. So, technically a SPST switch component can be associated to a footprint with two holes or a 1 row 2 pin .1" header footprint for example.

All my default libraries are left untouched in the Kicad system folders. All my additional and add-on components and footprints I keep in Dropbox. Seems to work pretty well.

What aspect are you having trouble with components or footprints or both?

What aspect are you having trouble with components or footprints or both?

Hi Will,

My problem is that KiCad does not apply the footpints on my components, even choosing them one by one by hand. When I run PCBnew and I import the Net list I see NO footprints at all.

I already reinstalled 5 or 6 times KiCad v4 ...

I must be really dumb. When I worked the first time with KiCad v2 and that was as a real novice I did not have so much trouble I am having right now ... Maybe it is my age too. I am a few years older now :grumpy:

:D :D :D

Hi Rainer,

Are you using Linux or Windows 7?

Regards,
Inq

Hi Rainer,

Are you using Linux or Windows 7?

Regards,
Inq

I am on Windows 10 and let me explain you my workflow

eeschema is ready

1. I go to > Annotate .... and run it

2. Then I go to > Generate Netlist

3. Then I go to > Run CvPcb and manually add there the type of component

4. I open PCBnew and read the NET list and then I get the following error see attached image and there ends my wisdom ... :banghead: standing in front of a wall ...

RCBnew_problem_01.JPG

In CVpcb select "Preferences"

"Footprint Libraries"

Choose "Append with Wizard"

Files on my Computer... choose "next"

Browse to and highlight the one you wish to add. eg C:\Users\MyName\Dropbox\Kicad_Parts\Footprints\w_pth_resistors.pretty

Kicad will then show Library "w_pth_resistors" select "next"

It will give you an option:

Where do you wish the new libraries to be added:

To global library configuration (visible by all projects)
To the current project only

Choose "To global library configuration (visible by all projects)

This must be done for every add-on you wish to use.

I know of no shortcut here.

Hi Will,

Thanks for taking care of my Problem or is it Ignorance from my side

Never had this sort of trouble with KiCad v2 ...

Once CVpcb knows where your libraries are. It should stop the errors.

Hi Will,

OK, apart from adding all the existing Github libraries I had to delete all the Github libraries and now it works.

Do the developpers of KiCad really think that every user is skilled as they are ?

Not even the possibility to delete them all at once by selecting them all. NO, I had to click 140 times in order to delete them.

Also moving up all the added same libraries but in another path is not possible by selecting them all ... One has to move them up ONE by ONE ... In the time it takes one develops a new circuit ...

AWFUL :troll:

At least you have success now

At least you have success now

Well yes so far but now viewing in 3D I see NO components except the OpAmp TL082 :banghead:

but that is a minor problem. Now I will ahve to see how to make a vertical resistor footprint with 1/10" wire separation and save it where KiCad can find it and use it afterwards ...

:nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

3D is easy. When you get to that point. I can help.

PICMain1 3D View 1.png

Is the TLO82 a PDIP 8 or a SOIC 8? That you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back