Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single Phase Controlled Rectifier Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Eduardo

Question
Consider a heating system with strongly inductive characteristic and with an electronic control of temperature performed by varying the firing angle of a single-phase controlled bridge.
a) Determine the value of resistance to to ensure a maximum power of 7500W if this system is powered with 220V (effective).
b) Determine the fire angle to a power of 3000W.

My attempt of solution:
a)
If the system is strongly inductive so the current is constant, then we should use average voltage. So, maximum power is when the average voltage is maximum and this is possible when fire angle = 0 degree. Then:
quw8aKp.png

And the resistance is:
VcAStaF.png

b) Using the same idea:
QHUw6Ez.png

The problem is:

Many friends (and maybe the professor) solved this problem on a exam using 220 V as voltage to find the resistance when maximum power, but I don't think this is totally correct because the problem tells us that the system is strongly inductive, so Irms = Iaverage = I constant, then, to find the voltage we should use average voltage and not effective as many other did. So, What do you think ? If I'm incorrect, why ? I'm a bit upset because I studied a lot for this exam and I was confident that the correct was average voltage when constant current.

Welcome to ETO, Luis Eduardo!

I googled "heating system with strongly inductive characteristic with single-phase controlled bridge" and found **broken link removed** using this circuit:
upload_2017-11-16_17-43-49.png

The transformer output voltage is irrelevant, in this case, for the solution to your question.

May, or may not be of any use to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back