Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single axis Solar Tracking System Using parabolic Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

abu-ali

hi everybody
am doing a graduation project about solar tracking system in one axis using parabolic mirror and i stopped these-days in programming micro-controller which control the system !!
i can't know what i need to make the program ??
anybody can help me ??

Have a look at this site

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4539&PN=1&TPN=3

They may be able to help you.

I suggest that you use a either a photo transistor or a Light Dependent Resistor (LDR) to track the Sun.

Mount it on the mirror frame so it moves with the mirror in a slot so it can only "see" a narrow angle of the sky.

Connect it to the analogue input to the micro controller & write the programme so that it makes the motor move until the light detected is at a maximum.

Better would be to use two LDRs or phototransistors, with a "baffle" placed between them (or in tubes, as you suggest); this way, you could determine which direction to move. Then again, in the trivial example you will only be moving in one direction until end-of-day, but in a more complex scenario, with shadows, clouds, reflections, etc - you may want to be able to move in both directions (also, if you use four sensors, you can implement dual-axis control).

I agree.

2 or 4 sensors would be a better solution.

For example, you don't want the motors to hunt just because a cloud has covered the Sun.

Clouds etc. could be detected by comparing the sensor outputs. If they all change simultaneously, then it must be a cloud or a reflection, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back