Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sine wave to Square wave (TTL/CMOS) converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavjayt

I would like to build a circuit that I can use to convert a sine wave (0.4V to 10Vpp DC) to a square wave without any or very min delay and I would like the output to be of the same frequency as the input. I have been looking at comparators with reference votlages, but they all have huge delays for my taste. The sine wave will be a fixed frequency between(14KHz - 16Khz) and is very stable. The square wave output can be a TTL/CMOS level. It will be connected to a 4046PLL or HC14 schmitt trigger.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Maybe use an op-amp with very high gain so that it clips the tops of the sine waves, then use a schmitt to square up the rise and fall times of the clipped sine wave.

JimB

What do you call a "huge delay"? Delay with respect to what?

Maybe use an op-amp with very high gain so that it clips the tops of the sine waves, then use a schmitt to square up the rise and fall times of the clipped sine wave.

JimB

Thanks Jim, actually I thought of this way, then read a lot online that this is not a good way to do it. But, I guess I can give it a try. Then the max input voltage for Schmitt trigger is 7V while mine goes to atleast 8V at its max.

How about an LM339, a common comparator, which has a delay of about a microsecond.

Perhaps just apply the sine wave via a cap to a CMOS gate (e.g. CD4049 or CD4050) resistor-biased to half the supply voltage (assumed 12V if your sine is 10Vpp)? Delay ~30ns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back