Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Solid state Tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 555, power transistor and automobile ignition coil. Lots of schematics on the web. I have a few on my home PC I can post if you're still interested.

I did it a long time ago with an automobile vibrator (about 200 Hz) and an old auto ignition coil, Later I built a solid state vibrator for use in an old Blaupunkt tube radio. You can buy solid state replacements now, Mine had to be push pull and I just used a 555 timer, a transistor to invert and two power transistors. I got sparks about 8" long from the thing. FET's didn't exist when I did it.

A 555 circuit at about 200 Hz and a 50% duty cycle driving a FET should work fine.

I believe wolf08 asked for a solid state tesla coil, not just a high voltage generator. Ignition coils and flyback coils cannot really be considered tesla coils, as they are not air-cored, nor do they operate using resonance, as a true tesla coil does.

wolf08, in my experience, there really is not a "simple" sstc circuit. You would have to have access to parts like high-power FETs and IGBTs, which, for the most part, are not sold at Radio shack. I would recommend you look online for parts and see if you can buy them online. You can also find circuits for solid state tesla coils by googling "Solid State Tesla Coils" or something similar.
I wish you the best of luck!
Der strom

That all depends on the ops definition of 'solid state tesla coil'. It seems its become a phrase synonymous with 'HV sparky thing'. A tesla coil will output high voltage at RF frequencies, something you simply cannot achieve without a tesla coils spark gap, cap tank, and air coil.

As suggested, for simply quick and dirty HV generators, flyback transformers from old TV's/CRT monitors, or an ignition coil, as well as some way of chopping DC into it. Preferably the biggest IGBT you can get with a very high voltage rating and a square wave oscillator.

Is radioshack still selling electronic parts?

As I said, a TRUE tesla coil is an air-cored resonant transformer, and a flyback/ignition coil circuit is simply a form of high-voltage generator.
So, Wolf08, I guess we should just ask you: did you want a real solid state tesla coil, or just a high voltage generator?

This is not exactly a Tesla coil but it is a simple and reliable HV spark generator that can be made from off the shelf parts and pieces or salvaged parts from old TV's and what not. :D

Line voltage CD ignition coil Driver.jpg

A Tesla Coil still requires high voltage to be fed into the primary coil, through a spark gap... The solid state portion, is just part of the project. Some people are satisfied with the first portion. Though flyback transformers, were resonant transformers, though not air core like Tesla's. But then again, Tesla didn't have TV's or computer monitors in his day either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back