1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple solar voltage clipping circuit

Discussion in 'Renewable Energy' started by SimonSolar2C, Dec 27, 2016.

1. SimonSolar2C

SimonSolar2C New Member

Thanks Tony - I am also thinking a 6.2v zener shunt is the quickest KISS solution. I tried it and I did have problems with the amount of heat it puts out when there is no load. Was worried it would melt the solder holding it.

2. Tony Stewart

Tony Stewart Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

A series LDO regulator would reduce the waste heat. with a buck regulator being most efficient. (Comparator with choke)

3. SimonSolar2C

SimonSolar2C New Member

I havent found a solution. Thanks for the graph Tony - yes I understand MPP of solar panels, I just need to trick the iPhone into starting charge and drawing current.
    So my Solar Panel is 12 cells- delivers about 7V oc. The phone will charge if it sees 6v or less, which happens once t starts drawing power.
    Ive been trying to come up to speed with LDO Linear regulators.
    If I use a 5V output, then there will be probably 1.2v diference under load. Thats more than the LDO value. I dont understand what happens to the missing power. Doesnt this mean it will be disapating some as heat?
    That's not the desire. It seems to keep coming back to using a simple zener shunt, but that creates too much heat when the phone is not connected. ( It could burn the person wearing this, or perhaps melt the solder joints)
    - Can someone recommend the LDO example I should be using (preferably under $1 in quantity). Shouldnt it be a switch mode version if I want high efficiency?
    - Also are the capacitors absolutely necessary?

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Pommie

Pommie Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

If this was me I'd try one of these modules. Just adjust it to give the required output. What can you loose for $1 with free postage.

Mike.