Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Robot From Scratch Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenAce92

Hi all,

I am a fan of a Podcast called MakeZine and i watched a video where they showed you how to make simple solar robots with spare parts and a solar pannel. THere was also a podcast where they showed you how to build a simple robot with 2 SPDT swithces to avoid obstacles. I have lots of broken transmitters, receivers, motors all sorts of spare parts can anyone tell me or show me how to build a simple robot with a simple brain?

Thanks.

It depends on what you want it to do. On my website, I have a obstacle avoiding robot schematic and stuff for just that, here is a link:

**broken link removed**

If you need more help just ask :D

yeah thats the bug im talking about. I have a question is there more than one kind of SPDT switches because i bought two of them just for this robot and i wired the bot all up and it would not move but when i clicked the SPDT switches it would activate one of the motors so is it like one kind of SPDt is just an on off switch and another is reversing a polarity? I have a bunch of resistors, capacitors and transistors i would like to be able to connect them up together and make a basic robot that can walk around and go around objects and walk around. Im just not sure how to hook together capacitors and stuff and get it to do something. Do you think that the IR leds from a remote could work? I want to learn how to attach transistors to a motor with capacitors and a solar pannel and use it as a switch when it has enough power.

I hope you follow what im saying.
THanks for hte help.

This kind of simple robot is the basis for BEAM. BEAM is creating cool robots as simple as possible. I suggest to the fullest extent the book Bugbots, junkbots, and bots on wheels. It is the book you would love to jump into. It teaches you everything that you could possibly want to know about building BEAM robots. There are 2 essential websites for BEAM:
www.solarbotics.net
www.solarbotics.com

The .com is a store, and .net is a online refrence full of useful stuff.

Im getting that book i have it on Favorites. I am also interested in Legged robots like insects. How can you hook on moving legs to a geared motor? And how can you solder together a chip that would work like a brain?

It sounds like you have them wired wrong. For each switch one lead of the motor is connected to the pole. The throws are connected to the battery as shown.

The pole should connect to one throw when the switch is inactive and to the other when activated.

If you connect the motor to one of the throws it will act as you mentioned.

Be careful when wiring the switches. If you get them wrong you can short out the battery.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I found that online somewhere, so I dont know what what.

Green, all that can be answered in that book i reccomended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back