Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple desulfator circuit - question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What your Not Understanding is that 0.8 Volts is the Voltage under Load of the Battery.
On a Really Badly desulfated battery that Voltage might be 3 volt or more.
It Depends on the Battery's INTERNAL RESISTANCE.

The Lower this Internal Resistance is, the "CURRENT of this Spike" in a Desulfator must be Much Greater to create a Higher Voltage.
And a Battery that is Already BAD, Definately Can't deliver HIGH CURRENT to a Desulfator, to create a Higher Voltage Spike.

A NEW, Large 12 Volt Car Battery has a Very LOW Internal Resistance.
That is Why they can deliver Hundreds of Amps into a 12 Volt Starter.

Smaller, but good Batteries have Somewhat Higher Internal Resistance, so they Can't delive you expkained everything quite welll.. ty :r nearly as much current.

A Battery with a BAD CELL or a battery that is badly sulfated has even a Higher Internal Resistance.

If a Desulfator was made for Direct Mains Power, Than a VERY HIGH CURRENT SPIKE, with a Very High Voltage could be Created.
But That Spike would Probably do MUCH MORE DAMAGE than Good.

Everything has its LIMITATIONS.
Sorry I don't know How to explain this any better to you.

You explained everything quite well..it is me that i need more study on these matters... :) ty....

Btw.. first time i was so careless on a project and burned so many compononts. . once againburned the mosfet.. the metal case touched a battery pole... and for substitude im using irf4905, would it be any better in some aspect for the circuit?

Last edited:
Basically Any P-Type Mosfet will work, as long as it can handle the Current and Peak Voltages..
Unlikely Any Difference in Performance.

And after doing the Tests I Did and seeing the waveform, I am NOT Impressed with that Circuit.

My BEST Advice is just: BUY A NEW BATTERY.

Take care, Have Fun....Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back