Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple 433mhz antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: reply

NleahciM said:
Roboticinfo said:
But you would need two feet of wire!
A quarter wave (6.5") wouldn't work? Actually for the receiver 2 feet isn't a problem at all - but for the transmitter it would be.

He's already said that he worked it out incorrectly (full length instead of quarter). However, a full length whip would be no good for the receiver either!, although it won't damage the receiver (as it may the transmitter!), it still won't work properly - the severe mismatch will reduce the reception sensitivity just as on the transmitter it will reduce the transmitter output.

Nigel Goodwin said:
NleahciM said:
Roboticinfo said:
But you would need two feet of wire!
A quarter wave (6.5") wouldn't work? Actually for the receiver 2 feet isn't a problem at all - but for the transmitter it would be.

He's already said that he worked it out incorrectly (full length instead of quarter). However, a full length whip would be no good for the receiver either!, although it won't damage the receiver (as it may the transmitter!), it still won't work properly - the severe mismatch will reduce the reception sensitivity just as on the transmitter it will reduce the transmitter output.
yeah - I hadn't realized that there was a second page to this thread, so I missed his correction :eek:

So it'd be better to use two quarter wave antennas?

NleahciM said:
So it'd be better to use two quarter wave antennas?

Depends what you mean by that?.

A dipole is the basic aerial element, and is the standard against which all other aerials are compared. A dipole basically consists of a quarter wave element connected to the inner core of the coax, and another quarter wave element connected to the screen of the coax. This effectively gives a half wavelength aerial, with the connection in it's centre.

A quarter wave whip is essentially the same device, the 'ground' half of the dipole is reflected in the ground plane that the screen of the coax connects to - for a standalone aerial, you usually have a number of horizontal rods projecting sideways from the base of the aerial, on a car the car body acts as the ground plane. For a 433MHz transmitter or receiver the metal box you install it in acts as the ground plane - if you use a plastic box, it won't work as well! - often suggested PCB layouts include a ground plane in the copper track around the aerial connection.

Hi NleahciM, I've got a couple 433MHZ tx's n rx's. I just used a 36cm piece of wire for my whip antenna and it worked wonderfully.

Direct line of sight, I probably got around 500 ft or so, and the signal still showed up, I couldn't go any further to test it though (i live in tract homes :cry: )

Going through a house, I got around 100ft.

antenna question too

Hi, I´m building a really small low-power reciever and I would like to know wich antenna should I use to recieve at 433 Mhz, the smaller one.. It would be great for it to be internal.. I found many different searching arround but I'm nor sure... tahnks!

There are three kinds of the 433Mhz antennas.
Did you have to resurrect a three (going on seven) year old thread to provide this snippet of information which is also wrong.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back