Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple 433mhz antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NleahciM

Hi - can anybody give me any advice on how to make a very simple 433 Mhz antenna? Could a specific length of wire work? Or what about an antenna that's actually a trace on a pcb? Sorry I'm horrible when it comes to RF :eek:

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
What are you trying todo?

I mean what type of project are you doing?
I'm making a remote control for my outside lights. The only thing not designed is the antennas - everything else has been designed and tested. I've just been using short pieces of wires for antennas and the range seems to be pretty good, amazingly.

Any antenna should work fine but I would recommend a antenna off of a cordless phone like a 900mhz
depending were you bought your tx/rx
it could go as far as 500 feet.

Do a search on Digikey for '433mhz antenna'. I tried making my own for a while and dealt with tuning problems. I use the linx 1/4 wave whips, now. For $2.00, it's hard to justify making your own, and they look pretty professional, too.

You can see what it looks like, here:
**broken link removed**

If you want to go cheaper, they even have some cheezy helical coils for under $1.00.

Didn't those antennas cost $10.00?

Anyway for stylish antennas

**broken link removed**

go to this website.

It is owned by linx Technologies
And they have a variety of antennas.

But the antennas from cordless phones are just as stylish and are good in range.

> Could a specific length of wire work?

Yep, Just make your wire the right length and it should work pretty good.

**broken link removed**

A simple monopole antenna is a quarter wavelength long, only six inches.

JimB

Roboticinfo said:
Any antenna should work fine but I would recommend a antenna off of a cordless phone like a 900mhz
depending were you bought your tx/rx
it could go as far as 500 feet.

Bad advice :!:

You need an aerial that is at least close to the right size, impedance and design for your chosen frequency and task (directional/omni/...)

Start by looking at **broken link removed** for a directional
Or **broken link removed** page 16 of the datasheet gives a bit of info on wire and pcb track aerials --- I'm using these little transcievers at the minute, playing with a 16.4cm monopole on a portable keyboard and a centre-fed dipole (about 4 times the above) for a remote control system - it works for me !

Mechie I use cordless phone antennas for my projects that use those 433mhz tx/rx modules and I get a good range.

Not bad advice

Good advice

As already suggested, a 1/4 wave whip is only short, and VERY easy to calculate - but even easier, read the datasheet for the RF modules you use, they generally give one or two exact aerial dimensions - particularly as the aerial is an important part of the licence free conditions!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
As already suggested, a 1/4 wave whip is only short, and VERY easy to calculate - but even easier, read the datasheet for the RF modules you use, they generally give one or two exact aerial dimensions - particularly as the aerial is an important part of the licence free conditions!.
The datasheet gave no information on this whatsoever. I think they said that a quarter wave antenna would be a good idea - but they gave no dimensions or anything like that.

chiba said:
> Could a specific length of wire work?

Yep, Just make your wire the right length and it should work pretty good.

**broken link removed**
awesome - I'll start it out with that as it's by far the simplest solution. Thanks!

Roboticinfo said:
Didn't those antennas cost $10.00?

Anyway for stylish antennas

**broken link removed**
I specificly said in the post that they were $2.00.

If you went to digikey and did the search I suggested, you would have seen that the antennas that came up are actually the Linx line and to be exact, the Linx 1/4 wave whip that I show in the picture is $2.03, USD.

I know you said that
I accentdently forgot to put didn't they used to be $10.00 dollars.

Roboticinfo said:
But you would need two feet of wire!

Hmm, i calculated a 1/4 wave antenna @ 433MHz to about:

0.56788167205542725173210161662818 ft

The only way i could get a result of "2 feet" was to take my shoes off then count :)

Roboticinfo said:
But you would need two feet of wire!
A quarter wave (6.5") wouldn't work? Actually for the receiver 2 feet isn't a problem at all - but for the transmitter it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back