Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

*sigh* this past week sucked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
I was under the impression that Mac's were popular in the music scene, because of their high reliability?, but I've never actually used one?

...a 40 track digital one :D

I've never had a reliability problem...and I'd kill for that mixer. (not literally of course ;) )

I don't understand what the problem is .I changed my motherboard and the same thing happened ,the key was no good.So you click register over the phone or something like that.You call them .They give you the runaround.You beg .Then you demand .Then they finally give you this really long list of numbers and letters .And presto ,Windows works again.Then if you ever have to reinstall windows you do the same **** all over again because your number won't work a second time.Do yourself a favor start learning linux .

Too bad you can't do some stuff in linux though.Like my pickit 2 programmer doesn't have a programming application for linux yet as far as I know.

Last edited:
Isn't there any decent emulators out there for linux?

Man, i think someone should make a new OS. I am thinking the Google OS is sounding pretty sweet right now. Hmm, i think i should give my own go at an OS. Sure, it would never be as good as Windows or Linux, but it would do what i want(and before you all get all smart-ass on me, i am a much better programmer than i am with electronics, so an OS is very conceivable).

You should just write your own programs for linux.I thought I knew c programming until I looked into writing USB drivers for linux.If I was to study for about 6 months though I might be able to write them.

cyb0rg777 said:
You should just write your own programs for linux.I thought I knew c programming until I looked into writing USB drivers for linux.If I was to study for about 6 months though I might be able to write them.

USB support was very slow to be added to Linux, presumably because of it's complexity?.

A friend of mine used to use Linux a lot (I don't know if he still does?), he even had a number of his improvements added to the Linux kernals.

I hang out at www.linuxquestions.org a lot.I use mostly Debian based systems.I have usb complete second edition on pdf ,it is pretty complicated stuff .I suppose any new library has to be studied before you can use it.If you wanted to do text based program you would have to study something like ncurses and if you wanted to do a game you would study sdl graphics library.They make a program you run in windows that is like a packet sniffer except between your usb device and driver .That way you get a look at how your device works so you can write a linux driver.The warning for the Windows program was pretty strong though so I didn't install it yet.They made it really hard for the hobbyist with USB.It is easy to get power out of a USB port though.Everything works off usb now so people need to get used to it.I guess a good place to look for examples would be the source code for the linux drivers ,since its open.I'm not very good at programming yet though.Even when my own code gets over ten pages its hard for me to follow it.

He he, i just wanted to see how many snotty come-backs i got from that statement. Nigel, just as i predicted, you asked almost exactly what i thought you would say. Bravo...

Hmm, well, not to brag, but if DOS wasn't obsolete, i would be a god....

Ever heard of Freedos ?I have a 133mhz pII laptop that is dual boot Damn Small Linux and Freedos.You can use all your old DOS programs on freedos.I put quake II on it and it runs perfect.

Yes FreeDOS is good, I normally run it under the DOSE,u emulator in Linux and it runs Quake 1 which won't run at all under XP.

Hmm, really? It works with Linux?

Yes, Google for DOSEmu, it's a mini virtual machine capable of running most DOS versions but it comes with FreeDOS because it's free as in GPL.

Actually Linux isnt that hard. Thats what I used to say when I went on to linux. Now I use it to browse the web and such. The only problem is the fact some games dont work on it. Thats Ok if the only thing you do is surf the net..

I like debian based OS's, you can apt-get most programs or some OS's include a GUI version of Apt-get (apt-get is a program that allows you to download stuff and it installs it for you)

It really ticks me of that the console is so hard, and that you HAVE to use it to install almost everything...

Marks256 said:
It really ticks me of that the console is so hard, and that you HAVE to use it to install almost everything...

Oh, on the contrary my friend (I thought the same way you do), Most Apps Do have a GUI, However, there are SOME commands you need a shell for, you'll get used to it over time. Some things like root you have to do in a console (Like install stuff, But if you use apt-get its kinda done for you...) A note though, Linux cannot write to NTFS HDD's. It can write to FAT (16,32,vfat) HDD's. However, you can read from it.

Try a Live CD first before going to Full Linux, Live CDs include Knoppix, Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Phalk (theres more...)..etc. So Youve got a good selection of Distros (although in a sense, Most Live CDs are based off of Knoppix, which is based on debian).

I Was kinda "forced" to go to linux since windows Didnt like my HDD for some reason...

Most linux distributions have some sort of gui package selector nowadays - at the very least there's some sort of text-windowed thing to select packages. On Debian-based systems, synaptic is the default GUI based one, mixed in with some other "front-ends". I'd assume that Redhat/Suse have their own variants.

Of course, this is coming from a guy that runs "apt-cache search" on a regular basis and looks forward to the weekly "apt-get update" to see what new goodies have been added/updated to Debian.

Debian reference manual:
http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-package.en.html

Try a Live CD first before going to Full Linux, Live CDs include Knoppix, Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Phalk (theres more...)..etc. So Youve got a good selection of Distros (although in a sense, Most Live CDs are based off of Knoppix, which is based on debian).

Yes, i already own Knoppix, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu, plus a crap load of full Linux copies. I already know DOS like the back of my hand, so learning a completely different OS console seems like a bit of work to me...

This Linux console isn't much to learn than DOS, the only thing is there are more commands to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back