Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Siberia Headset Right Speaker not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkover

Hi, two years ago I bought SteelSeries v2 headset, I sort of like the sound, but it seems like there is big quality problem. I returned headset two times to the seller, because right speaker stopped working and also one time I paid for after-warranty repair, few weeks later right speaker was dead again. As I have the right equipment I decide to repair it by myself.

I disassembled the headset and re-solder parts which were poor quality. (I had summer job in factory, soldering about 4 months, so I think it's better than before). Right speaker still not working. I used analog multimeter and tested the cable from Audio Jack to the speaker's contacts.

Ground Jack to Right Speaker Ground = OK
Ground Jack to Left Speaker Ground = OK
Left Jack to Left Speaker = OK
Right Jack to Right Speaker = OK

But I noticed that when I touch the wires with multimeter's with test leads the Left Speaker do some cracking noise, it's not important which wire I touched, Left Speaker always cracked, Right Speaker was muted. I touched Right Speaker wire only and no cracking sound at all.

I have no electrical/technical education, I'm just enthusiast. Is there anything I could do to find out what's wrong with the headset?

Volume Knob Detail - before re-soldering, right wiring looks poorly soldered
**broken link removed**

Scheme of Headset
**broken link removed**

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The most common cause of faults on headphones is the cable fracturing internally where it enters the headphones or where it enters the connector. As you have an inline volume control the fault could also be where the wires enter this. It is normal to hear a click when testing using a multimeter on the ohms range. (More noticeable with an analogue meter.) From your diagram the wires to the right speaker pass through the left speaker. I suggest that you remove the cover from the left speaker and identify the two conductors that continue on the right speaker. These will probably be joined in the Left speaker housing. Check for continuity from these connections back to the right connection in the volume control . (The side of the volume control that connects to the speakers.) Also check continuity of the ground wire. If there is no continuity on either the right signal wire or the ground wire then the fault is the cable between the volume control and the left speaker. If the continuity is OK then check the continuity between the joints fror the right speaker in the left hand speaker housing and the connections inside the right speaker. If these continuity checks are OK then the right speaker is faulty or there is a short between the right signal and ground or there is a fault on the volume control potentiometer. Set the inline volume control to it's loudest setting. measure the resistance between the terminals on both speaker units and compare the readings. The readings should be almost the same. (The reason for setting the volume control to maximum is to reduce the effect of the volume control in parallel with the speaker.)

Les.

I've tested all wires again. Everything looks OK. So I "cut off" both speakers and switch L and R cable. The Right Speaker is dead on the left side, Left Speaker playing just all right on the right side.

Conclusion, Right Speaker is dead. Unfortunately I didn't find any number or type on the speakers, so I can't even check for spare parts, anyways I think I would have to change both speakers if I want to maintain balanced quality.

As you have had a number of failures and they have always been the right hand speaker I would suspect that the equipment they ate plugged into is causing them to fail. Possibly a leaky output capacitor (Assuming the amplifiers are running from a single supply as opposed to a split supply configuration.) Check if there is a DC offset on the right hand output. It might also be worth checking that there is no intermittent short between the microphone power supply and the right hand speaker. (In the picture of the volume control at the top the M+ connection in next to the rich hand channel.)

Les.

Last edited:
i have the same kinda problem like him... but i notice that there is a continuity between ground and -m. is it normal or it is shorted?

my mic and both speakers are not working but LED is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back