Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

short wave radio !!! help needed upon transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng.aliaskar

hello
i recently found an SW old radio from the junkyard that works really fine !!!

the radio can receive sw of 49-31-25-19-16 meters !!!!!

i want to transform it so that it can receive ham radio of (amature radio) bands ???
is this possible ?

Attachments

• Photo0105.jpg
    Photo0105.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 314
There are many ham radio bands. What bands? Don't say all!!!!
Have you looked to see what is in the 16 thought 49 meter area?

Yes and no. You might be able to change a few coils or pad a few capacitors to get into the ham bands but the IF bandwidth won't be selective for CW or SSB. And you'll have to add a BFO to receive either. Just enjoy the international broadcasts that it will pick up. Also plan on recapping the power supply filter caps soon. They are most likely dried out. Also caution if it is an AC/DC transformerless power supply. The chassis might be hot if the power plug is reversed. N3HXT

maybe. Not sure what the frequencies are that you want and what it receives, but I was doing some Goggling for stuff on DDS and found somewhere on the vast internet a gizmo that would synthesise and display a frequency with a + or - offset which is exactly what you would need. Change the local oscillator setting. This way would probably be relatively easy.

Is the conversion possible? Yes.

Would the results be worth the effort? No.

What you have there is a radio with what can only be described as mediocre performance, it is nowhere near good enough in terms of selectivity, tuning rate or frequency stability to be worthwhile converting to receive on the HF amateur bands.

JimB

Using that DDS VFO with the receiver the OP has, would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

JimB

you may indicate the make and model number so that some one can help locating the service manual and/ schematic that helps modd.
Incidentally, it is a radio cum cassette recorder. then it is Transistorised or even chips may have been used. thus No fear of AC/DC.

Have a look at the tuning control. It's not likely to be a TRF, rather a hetrodyne and the tuning control varies the oscillator.
The radio looks like a junker, so destroying it in the name of education validates any failure :)
If you can locate this oscillator screwing around with the tuning coil or the capacitance you will get a result. Probably not the one you expected, but still useful information.

Even if you get this tuner in band, it isn't likely to be a high performance receiver. As mentioned, a lot of traffic is SSB, so some more modifications will be required.
For the effort, if say I was given this radio and a task as part of some sort of competition. I wouldn't try to modify it, but rather strip it down for the parts and purpose rebuild a new cannibalised circuit.

Everybody has their own ideas of fun. If you're not worried about destroying it ... trail and error is good education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back