Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shocked by high voltage! whats your volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got nailed but the output of a fluorescent light ballest once. Don't know what the voltage was (aren't they around 700v?) anyway, it hurt quite bad and almost made me fall off a ladder.

HV scares the **** out of me for the most part. I love/am fascinated by the concept of HV devices, but chicken out when it comes to building them. I was thinking about doing a custom strobe light to add to a project i'm working on at the moment, but after thinking about how many times I'll prolly get bit screwing around with strobes, I decided to just add more LEDs;)

Hank Fletcher said:
From Wiki on "Electric Chair":

Barbaric. Poor Willie - can you imagine going up a second time? Only in America.

The punishment should suit the crime, as a deterant. Capital punishment isn't handed out lightly here. I don't understand why it takes 12-15 years to excute after sentence is passed. Also don't understand why it should be done in privacy. Kind of defeats any purpose it might serve as an example to the rest of society.

I don't think the electric chair is used anymore, it's so much more cruel, then what those animals do to their victims...

The best piece of advice I've ever heard for being around dangerous voltage/current sources is always keep one hand in your pocket. Conduction paths dirctly across the heart at the most likley to actually kill.

There is always the case where you know it will happen, but can't avoid it. Like replacing B batteries (45 volt) in a battery box for the PMT in a Beckman DU spectrophotometer. Lots of bare wires and uninsulated snap contacts. Glad it only needed 20 batteries.

There was also the situation where I had to change the leads over on a synchro running on 120 VAC @ 400 Hz. I had had my overseas shots and was in a pretty good reaction, so I just did it without securing power. (For the uninitiated, a three phase synchro reverese its rotation if twp phases are swapped.) I got bit a few times - working under a Hughes radar console bullnose - but just got it over with.

HarveyH42 said:
Barbaric. Poor Willie - can you imagine going up a second time? Only in America.
I disagree with capital punishment even though the electric chair is (in theory) pretty humane providing nothing goes wrong.

Well, all I can say is I'm glad I don't live in America.

i've been shocked with a 50 kv stun gun, 25kv of a color tv, 220v ac, the one that hurt the most was when i messed with a microwave oven capacitor.
i saw stars.
my mom always wanted me to be a conductor.

I once got a shock of about 400-500volts, hand to hand.:eek:
I was holding the metal toggles of two switches at the time, one switch on a (faulty) power supply and the other switch on the unit I was testing.

The result was not pleasant and had my co-workers seriously wondering if I was OK as I sat at the bench muttering to myself!

JimB

80KV from a tazer. Did it to myself intentionally, it was a cheap $20 unit off the net. It hurt bad but if I'm pretty sure all it would do to an attacker is give them enough pause to decide they REALLY wanted to beat my %#!.

Other incident was of unknown but up to 45kV off an ignition coil. A high-power ignition coil, primary had 10A going through it (primary was ~.25mH I want to say). Whatever energy that corresponds to and whatever the coupling coefficient was I don't know offhand, but it reached out and got me through the tip of my left finger when I reached for a scope probe on the bench to probe it. Instead the tip of my left middle finger probed it, confirmed it was HV, and gave me heart palpitations. Laying in bed that night my entire left side of my chest and left arm were sore. Guess I tensed so bad I bruised all my muscles or something. Still can't believe I was so stupid as to forget the left hand in the pocket rule. Been doing too much playing/work with high voltage, got too comfortable I guess.

Oh! and I got several hundred volts to just over a kV a couple times when I was working with CCFL backlight inverters. 1kV@5ma was the most powerful. Used the wrong probes on one of our meters, and had blue lighting reach through the wires and get me. I was REAL surprised that happened, as 1kV is really pretty low in the grand scheme of things, esp to jump through wires and stuff.

Last edited:
The worst shock i ever got was when I was welding in a very humid inviroment. The VRD on the welder was faulty and the shock entered through my index finger on my right hand and exited through my toe on my right foot. The quack at the hospital told if i wasn't left handed he'd be looking at me on a slab. Needless to say I was in pain for about a week after that.

Cheers Bryan

I had two types of shocks--

1. from a color TV- around 5KV

2. Radio burns attending telecom line to test and reduce radio interference - in a close vicinity of a M W radio Transmitter of 1000KW.

I get shocked a lot working as an electrician...not my fault if someone wants to go messing with breakers while I'm working on a circuit
although a breaker lock would be good to get one day...lol

anyways the highest voltage I was shocked by was a 120VAC circuit with a 20A breaker in it....not a pleasant feeling lol

Hero999 said:
I disagree with capital punishment even though the electric chair is (in theory) pretty humane providing nothing goes wrong.

Well, all I can say is I'm glad I don't live in America.

MEH!

they dont electricute people anymore, they do lethal injections, which kills you in 3 sec!

hooray!

The electric chair is still used in some states like Texas isn't it?

Regardless of the method of execution, capital punishment is wrong, in my opinion, for the following reasons:

• Killing people is barbaric.
  • They could be innocent.
  • It isn't fair on their friends and family.
  • The state saying it's wrong to kill then killing a murderer is highly hypocritical.

I can understand the counter argument i.e. the punishment fits the crime, prision is expensive, piece of mind for the victims as they'll never do it again etc. but this is all morally outweighed by the bad points in my opinion.

Sorry - but I'm all for it (under the right circumstances) - executed criminals NEVER re-offend, most others do!.

As a martial arts instructor we try to teach not to hesitate or hold back, in a self defence situation you're fighting for your life! - do the most damage you can, in the quickest possible time, while taking the minimum risk to yourself. This obviously involves techniques which can kill, if they don't it's a bonus, but it probably means you didn't do it correctly or hard enough!.

Rule one: IT'S EASIER TO ARGUE IN A COURT OF LAW, THAN LYING ON A SLAB IN THE MORTUARY!.

Oh I've just thought of another reason why capital punishment is bad: some criminals would rather die than life in prison; being killed is the easy way out for some!

Nigel Goodwin said:
As a martial arts instructor we try to teach not to hesitate or hold back, in a self defence situation you're fighting for your life!
That's an interesting perspective. I'm thinking about taking some self defence lessons and I would like to think that they would teach me some self restraint and to only get violent as a last resort!

A friend of mine gave me some good advice: often the best self defence technique is to run. You might be branded a wimp but it's often the best course of action!

I don't know whether I would agree because as soon as my back's turned I'm very vulnerable. To be honest I imagine that my biggest problem would be guts as I'm not the biggest or strongest of people, there agian I know that really doesn't make much difference, it's technique that makes the difference but confidence is still a large factor.

Cookies called biscuits? Man glad I dont Live In England!:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Hero999 said:
Oh I've just thought of another reason why capital punishment is bad: some criminals would rather die than life in prison; being killed is the easy way out for some!

That's an interesting perspective. I'm thinking about taking some self defence lessons and I would like to think that they would teach me some self restraint and to only get violent as a last resort!

A friend of mine gave me some good advice: often the best self defence technique is to run. You might be branded a wimp but it's often the best course of action!

Very good advice - it's our first suggestion as well - even better though, don't be there in the first place :D

But assuming running isn't an option?- take them out hard, take them out fast, and as messily as possible! - assuming it's multiple attackers, go for the gobby one first, he's likely the leader. If you can take him out with loud cracking noises of bones breaking, and blow spraying everywhere - it discourages the rest! :p

I don't know whether I would agree because as soon as my back's turned I'm very vulnerable. To be honest I imagine that my biggest problem would be guts as I'm not the biggest or strongest of people, there agian I know that really doesn't make much difference, it's technique that makes the difference but confidence is still a large factor.

What you're learning in martial arts, as much as technique, is reactions - you learn so many techniques, and practice them over and over again, that they become totally automatic. The large number of techniques you learn means that your reactions 'should' be able to do 'something' in pretty well any given situation. The training builds confidence as well, it's surprising how it develops along with ability!.

For example, we practice being pinned against a wall, sat in a chair and attacked from behind, sat in a chair and attacked across the table - all sorts of different things.

When I took my Ju Jitsu 1st Dan (which is the physically hardest of all martial art belts) there are various things you have to do in multiple ways against the same attack. I was part way through one of these multiple techniques and my mind went blank!, I couldn't remember which ones I had already done, and repetition isn't good, and hesitation is SERIOUSLY bad. So I followed Luke Skywalkers 'voice in his head' and 'used the force!', I just let my body take over and do something with no conscious thought - worked spot on!, my training partner wasn't too happy about it though! :D :D

THAT'S what you're trying to learn with martial arts, to teach your body to react without any conscious thought - that's why all the repetition in training.

Hank Fletcher said:
You're mistaken, on both counts.

Kinda hard to know what your getting at.

With life sentence, it stacks up prisoners, but death sentence all they need is a 6 food deep hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back