Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo controlled door for chicken coop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve311

hey all, its been a while for me on here hope all is well.

Im looking to use a pic16f series to control a door hinge as it counts my chickens as they walk through a motion sensor and shut the door. Consider the door like a typica door to a house on 2 hinges. Does anyone know of a good servo controlled hinge system that could open and close a heavy door? Or does anyone have any other ideas? im sure ill have more questions as i start the programming as its been a while... Thanks!
Steve l

Define heavy. Depending on weight you might be able to use a large model servo but if heavier then a motor with limit switches may be the way to go.

Mike.

Well i have an inner coop door 2x2ft of light driven by a pulley system so i think a servo is is ok there...

My outer door is full size frame made of 2x4 Pressure treated wood, with chicken coop wire on it so, definately on the heavier side...

Do you have any recommendations on either servo or motor other than a google search?

The "chicken coop" thing has come up here before but not counting chickens.

Think about a counter-weighted door being raised and lowered Then the force is not that big.

What will happen if two returning chickens squeeze past your sensor and are counted as just one? Won't the door stay open and the fox get in?

John

Methinks a hinged door will require a high torque for reliable closing, to allow for straw and crap obstructing its movement. On the other hand, you don't want to flatten the poor birds if they get stuck in the doorway ;).

Chickens LOL :D, use a timer for the time of day ;) chickens all roost by a certain time.
We tried this loads and to be honest it works sometimes but mainly the faf about and wing flapping etc gets in the way and before you know it you have counted 300 chickens in when you only have 4

forgot to add the solution we found in the end.....................
a cup and tube outside the coup that leads into the sleeping part, a servo tips corn out at a set time each night, they get so used to it you find them waiting under the whole for it. then just close the door, NO chicken misses out maize :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back