Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo 24BYJ48-01A 8V DC 1/16 How to test it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

april

The above stepper motor comes from a generator and controls the diesel pump which fuels the injector

It appears not to be working and ,as replacement parts for these chinese machines are difficult and time consuming to source, I wonder if someone could guide me so I might at least check that it does not work first, before I attempt to renew it. If it works I can move on to look for other causes.

I have Arduino boards available and C programming ability, but I want to approach this carefully knowing something about this part and feeding it 8 volts means a separate power source anyway. Is there a quick easy test to see if it is responsive ?

The diesel motor itself starts and revs to full revs then cuts itself off. It seems to be checking that the servo turns the fuel pump down so the controller has control of the speed and shuts itself off when it finds it does not . I did not see the servo move at all in this time frame. When running properly I can see the servo moving.

Oh and I should add its a four wire job . Red and black for power white and blue for pulse and position sense I assume.

Last edited:
Oh and I should add its a four wire job . Red and black for power white and blue for pulse and position sense I assume
Could be a bipolar stepper; two windings each having a respective pair of wires.

Looking at the datasheet, it has 5 wires so will probably be a unipolar motor. The red wire is the common with the other wires the phases (if I've read the datasheet correctly).

http://www.motionsolutions.us/motors/Stepper_Motors/Geared_Steppers/24_28_30BYJ.pdf

You should have a roughly equal resistance from each of the other wires to the red wire.

If your motor only has four wires then I'm a bit stumped.
Hmm yes only 4 and the colours are red black blue and white and the voltage differs from your data sheet as it is 8V , also it says 1/16 which is different again

All help appreciated ,just want to test it

Measure the resistances between the 4 wires. My guess is you'll identify 2 windings and they'll have matching resistances.

Hmm Thanks for your input but that just sends me back in the loop.
I came and asked the question here because I googled the device and did not find what I need .
I googled "testing bipolar steppers" when you posted that but still come back here to see if anybody knows how to test these rather than just read the coil resistance .

I got to this at that stage to try to understand it but I actually want to test it so hoped someone here may already have done it

**broken link removed**

I don't want to destroy a part that may be fine.

I am also looking here as a possible answer but that requires much work just to test a device but is great for an explanation

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/MotorKnob

Last edited:
We can't say how to test it until we know for sure what the coil arrangement and coil resistances are :confused:

Alright-We are getting a bit "Regal" with the "we" arn't we?
2 windings 50hms on each No other connections between the 4 wires

I found I had an adafruit motor controller shield for my Arduino board so I downloaded their software as advised and put a stepper motor tester on my arduino chip (an atmega328P)
Running the program I have at least confirmed that this motor is not at fault as it seems to step all the way round just fine .Had fun with another printer stepper motor with 6 wires I had saved too Cheers

We are getting a bit "Regal" with the "we" arn't we?
LOL. Several people have contributed to this thread, so 'we' is appropriate.
Good to hear you've got the motor working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back