Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Series Power Supply Safety Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
tvtech

My little things worked just fine. No issues.

(a) Was an emergency. We had to keep a valve open, or we could have been down for a month.

(b) It worked out fine too. later we got rid of the stick/TIG welder and replaced it with a smaller MIG welder. I've use all three, but we didn't have any one proficient enough to do the repair. The original joints were done with an automatic "orbital welder" and then the tubing bent in place.

Here is a take off on 4pyros idea. Gets back to one switch.
Couple of things.
1-The red light will be on when it is plugged in. Maybe not such a bad thing.
2- You will have to hold the off switch in the off position until the power supplies drain or it will turn back on. This might be a problem. Might want to check that time with no load again.
Ron;
What red light are you talking about?
I get the off circuit but the on switch would have to be a momentary to work wired like that other wise it would keep bypassing the relays the hole time its on.

I just drew in a neon bulb for the red one.
Yes, momentary on / momentary off.
I suppose we could use a toggle switch. You can get them in on, nothing and momentary. That would help the off time problem, but give a no mans place in the middle. With a rocker switch it is kind of natural for it to pop back to the middle.

Jo, if you want or need the 24 V relay let me know. I know I have some somewhere around here. :)

Ron

Here is a better one using logic instead of comparators.

Attachments

• logic uv.png
    logic uv.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 142
awesome...now that 4-15 tax deadline is over, I may actually be able to test this out. (although I still have a major deadline non-4-15 related, but it has to be done today! ) I should have saturday off...i still have the other dummy load to build too.

Since your the designated marketing guy we should disclose the warts:
On a fault the red LED will not stay on, but will go off as the supply discharges.
When you turn it off the red light will also come on until the supply discharges. We could make it go off as long as the switch is in the off position, but it would probably come back on after you let go of the rocker since the supply takes a few seconds to discharge.

Last edited:
Maybe the resistor used to power them up could be tripped if the leads touch?

nevermind on short circuit protection...it does have it already built in after all.

Hey.

I have a dedicated PSU protection circuit already for sale;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070862

This unit works on the DPS-600PB's (plug in on this PSU type.
I have a dedicated one for the DPS-1200 units as well, with the right resistor value to turn them on.
I also have a negative switch type that is useable on most server PSU types.

Basically this protection circuit senses the output volts and switches off both PSU's should the supply voltage drop outside of my programmable range.

I have another unit coming soon with a few more features, control of up to 3 PSU's, volts and amps display, temperaure controlled outputs, bluetooth capability as well for I'm hoping connection to hand held devices for sending information to. I can't remember it all off the top of my head.
Here are some very basic videos of the prototype in development now.

Ian Contessa

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back