Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

search for compatiable Varistor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

itaishi

Hi,
i need a new varistor insteed of a currpt one,
i cant find the exact varistor model.

original compenent:
the exact model is 14d681k-M
TB14K_ZGXXXXXayXVXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_240x240q50

name Varistor
model 14d681k
max volt ac420v, dc560v
Varistor 680V
terminal volt and current (max v / a) 1120v, 50a
capacity 290pf
Watt 0,6 W

the problem:
i cant find the original.

my question:
is anybody know if this one, on the buttom, can replace it ?
its not look the same at all.
looks different size,
is the replacement suppose to do the exact functioning as the original?

the replacment:
https://uk.farnell.com/bourns/mov-14d681k/varistor-680v-420vac-560vdc-14mm/dp/2078692
4733276.jpg

thanks in advanced,
itai

HY itaishi,

Welcome to ETO.

While I can't be absolutely sure with out knowing the application In reasonably certain that the replacement varistor you describe will be a suitable replacement for the original. No the physical size of a component is not normally important- it is the specification and function that counts.

One point, what makes you think that the original varistor is faulty?

spec

HY itaishi,

Welcome to ETO.

While I can't be absolutely sure with out knowing the application In reasonably certain that the replacement varistor you describe will be a suitable replacement for the original. No the physical size of a component is not normally important- it is the specification and function that counts.

One point, what makes you think that the original varistor is faulty?

spec

first,
10x for helping,

the fuse near by the varistor is burned.
the varistor has also black color on the circuit where it is soldered, and also the varistor is coated with some staff of something looking like sticky sand.

this is a circuit of an outside unit of my air condition.
this type of circuit is: KFR90GW / I1Y

What is your Power Source where you live?
110, 220 or 240 VAC?

Since your source is 22o than that:
https://uk.farnell.com/bourns/mov-14d681k/varistor-680v-420vac-560vdc-14mm/dp/2078692
Should be OK to use as a replacement.

At least it will give some protection against voltage spikes.

really big thank for the help,
you guys are really awesome !!!

so any idea why is the big diffrence of the parts size ?

by the way, forgot to add the spec of the original one :
(most important thing :facepalm:)

Specification:

Product Name varistor
Model no. 14d681k
max voltage ac420v, dc560v
varistor 680V
Terminal voltage & current (max v / a) 1120v, 50a
capacity 290pf
rated Watt 0.6 W
max energy (2ms) 136j
Height (approx) 1.8 x 1.1 x 2.1cm / 0.7 "x 0.4" x 0.8 "(L * W * H)
Pins pitch (approx) 0.65cm / 0.256 "
pin dia (approx) 0.07cm / 0.027 "
outer material plastic
color black
net weight 86g

Larger Size usually means it will handle More PEAK CURRENT without burning out.
So If you could find a Bigger one with the same 420 VAC voltage rating, it would be better.

If'n you crack open the one on your board you may find it is just a plastic enclosure for one like your replacement image.
I've seen one before. I think it's just a case to keep the explosion contained if it pops.

first,
10x for helping,

the fuse near by the varistor is burned.
the varistor has also black color on the circuit where it is soldered, and also the varistor is coated with some staff of something looking like sticky sand.

this is a circuit of an outside unit of my air condition.
this type of circuit is: KFR90GW / I1Y

Hy itaishi,

No sweat about helping.

In case you don't know a varistor is nearly always fitted across a mains supply input to short out any transient voltages that may damage the equipment. These voltages my be due to static electricity or due to lightning, either direct or indirect (lightning hitting a power line for example).

It is possible, but unlikely, that the varistor has gone faulty of its own accord, and conducted a high current from the mains supply. This in turn would destroy it by overheating.

It is highly unlikely that a high voltage varistor has any involvement in the normal functioning of a circuit. Consequentially, for testing purposes, you can simply remove it. If the circuit then operates you will know that the varistor is the problem.

But for the varistor to have blown will imply a massive voltage and current which may have destroyed other circuit components.

To check the varistor, measure its resistance in both directions with an Ohmmeter- it should read open circuit.

Fitting the exact replacement varistor is not that important so the replacement varistor you have described will be fine (I have checked the important parameters).

spec

Last edited:
Dear chemelec, spec and pfofit,
again thanks for the big help,

the black varistor indeed was a housing box for the original varistor,

this is the original faulty varistor:
faultyVar.JPG

the original one is look same as the replacement.

i guess the is no polarity for this part , because i dont see any sign for a polarity (e.g. +/-)

i opened the black housing box,
took out the faulty varistor,
put a new one inside the black housing box,
solder the fixed one to the circuit,
put a new fuse,

and today im gonna go back, up my roof to put the circuit back in.
and prey that no more parts got faulty on this circuit board.

i will update,
thanks .
itai.

Dear chemelec, spec and pfofit,
again thanks for the big help,

the black varistor indeed was a housing box for the original varistor,

this is the original faulty varistor:
View attachment 99144
the original one is look same as the replacement.

i guess the is no polarity for this part , because i dont see any sign for a polarity (e.g. +/-)

i opened the black housing box,
took out the faulty varistor,
put a new one inside the black housing box,
solder the fixed one to the circuit,
put a new fuse,

and today im gonna go back, up my roof to put the circuit back in.
and prey that no more parts got faulty on this circuit board.

i will update,
thanks .
itai.

Hy itaishi,

WOW! that varistor got hit hard.

Varistors are symmetrical- they have no polarity and can be fitted any way around.

In view of the extreme varistor damage, it would be best to check the continuity of all connections between the mains plug and the board. It is likely that other wires/PCB traces will have been taken out too.

Lets hope that no other components have also been damaged.

spec

Last edited:
Hy itaishi,

WOW! that varistor got hit hard.

Varistors are symmetrical- they have no polarity and can be fitted any way around.

In view of the extreme varistor damage, it would be best to check the continuity of all connections between to the mains plug and the board. It is likely that other wires/PCB traces will have been taken out too.

Lets hope that no other components have also been damaged.

spec

spec

just to clarify :
the 2nd varistor's leg was broken by me, when i tried open the black housing box (to get the faulty varistor out of the black housing box).
so the damage of the varistor is not looking so bad... (i think so)

what i didnt take a picture of, is the pcb board that indeed have damaged,
under the varistor place, there have been a little black steam/crater ,(this is how you called it - crater?).
it was a little bit hard to clean it.

Last edited:
final status:

the air condition work perfect for almost half an hour :happy:

(the symptom before the error was that the air condition was shutdown himself after 10 seconds and had a green light flashing fast)

spec, chemelec, pfofit,
well done everybody !!!
i really owe you big time !!!!
:D

Hy itaishi,

Well that is good news. The varistor obviously did its job and protected the rest of the components.

All the best

spec

Yeahhh! Just saw this.
One question although a little late..
In reusing the black box, did you clean it out of residual carbon that may be conductive?
Iso-propyl and swabs works nice

cheers

Hi,

yep this is a very old post. though I'm still hoping someone would be able to see this and help.

Our airconditioning system stopped working, and I checked the circuit board and found out that the same overcurrent protector blew up. I live in the Philippines and asked for replacement of the same but they only have the 220v AC one. The source of the Airconditioner is 220 though. I really believe replacing it with the 220v is okay but I might as well ask for any advice about this. Thanks!

Hi ECE,

Can you post the exact part number of the new protector (over voltage) that you would like to fit to your air conditioning unit?

spec

Hi,

Thank you so much for responding on this old thread. The part number is S14-K230

Vrms-230v
Vdc-300v
Imax-4500A

The diameter of this one is a bit larger than the blown up one by about 1 mm. I hope you could help me. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back