Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'scope shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Davis

I'm comparing the following series:

Tektronix TDS2000B
Agilent DSO3000
Instek GDS2000

All are pretty much in the same functionality-niche, and in competition.

The Tektronix units are pricey, but I know from the TDS1001s and TDS1002s (same units with monochrome display) at school that they are close to bulletproof as a 4.9 lb piece of plastic gets.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Agilent or the Instek pieces? I am interested in reliability first and foremost, and the versatility of the USB interface a close second.

Hi. I have a TDS2024B. Damn nice scope. Has features I hadn't dreamed of. Has a warranty that won't quit. Got mine at Fry's for $2200, a couple hundred less then elsewhere, without the two to three week wait for shipping.

I have been perusing the Instek model GDS2004's manual since I got an email offer for $1800, $1636 with coupon. This model has an optional battery ($385), which the TDS doesn't. So far the manual is a good read, no Chinlish, and a partial review suggests it is a TDS clone, except for the battery and a lot more storage memory. Scary part: there is nothing about a warranty or guarantee, I searched the .PDF manual!

A big thumbs up for the Tek; the GDS is definitely worth checking into, but the warranty is a concern.

Hope that helped,
kenjj

I definitly do not recommend the Agilent DSO3000. They just bought a bunch of them for our school last year and they are terrible.
The LCD is too small and slow, you just end up with a blurr for traces. The menu interface is a pain in the butt to navigate through.

Everyone thought they were awsome because they were in color. I prefered using the old TDS420 scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back