Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SATA to USB converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp1987

Hi,

I plan to make a SATA to USB converter so that I can use the internal hard disk of my desktop as an external storage device for the laptop. I would like to know how to go about interconnecting the data pins of USB and SATA.

Can you please guide me on connecting the Data- and Data+ pins on the USB to A+, A- (Transmit pins) and B+, B- (Receive pins) on the SATA cable? Is there any need for ICs to act as a bridge between the two?

Also, I would be grateful if you could explain the meaning of + and - symbols for the same function. Differential signalling?

SATA pinout: https://pinouts.ru/HD/serialATA_pinout.shtml
USB pinout: https://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Thanks.

Dude just buy an external hard drive case and be done with it.
External Hard Drive Case

Yes, just buy a case - that will include the required electronics (not just a lead) for the conversion.

Thanks for the replies. And special thanks to Nigel. It has been a while since I visited this site and feels good to get a reply from you right away. :)

I did look out for online purchases, but the costs are high ($25 = 1100 INR). The hard disk I am trying to convert is old, ~320GB while I can get a 500GB external USB by spending only twice the above amount. Hence it makes more sense to make a converter (if possible) than spend such amount.

Hi,

You need a chip to go between the USB and the SATA. I dont think i have the part numbers around anymore, but it's simpler and cheap to buy an 'adapter', not a whole case, but just the USB to SATA adapter. Make sure it says it works with a SATA hard drive.

Hi,

You need a chip to go between the USB and the SATA. I dont think i have the part numbers around anymore, but it's simpler and cheap to buy an 'adapter', not a whole case, but just the USB to SATA adapter. Make sure it says it works with a SATA hard drive.

Looks like it's a difficult DIY project. Sigh..
Btw, this chip does the trick- JM20337 https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/07/JM20337.pdf

Thanks for the reply, MrAl. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Look for an adapter on ebay from Hong Kong :) You can probably find one for under 10 dollars.

Thanks for the replies. And special thanks to Nigel. It has been a while since I visited this site and feels good to get a reply from you right away. :)

I did look out for online purchases, but the costs are high ($25 = 1100 INR). The hard disk I am trying to convert is old, ~320GB while I can get a 500GB external USB by spending only twice the above amount. Hence it makes more sense to make a converter (if possible) than spend such amount.

yes the prices for the case are quite high but have you seen he material used for the external case? its aluminium and it just sheds off the heat hard drive. so you dont lose your performance. I have also made 1 TB seagate and the case also costed me 1100 INR. so just buy the case. its goeed and reliable. but still if you want to make your own, then go to a computer accessory dealer. these parts are now available in the computer shops cheaply

my case is a good quality case and is full thick metal aluminium. it has one power adaptor also. what kind of material is your case?

Same. Al case with a power adapter, driver CD, USB cable, and a star screw-driver :D . Screw driver was too much of an overkill. Value addition. :p

i dont have to use the driver CD. still if you have got a good one you're lucky. in which city have you got it? may be i could order it for my next drive..

i dont have to use the driver CD. still if you have got a good one you're lucky. in which city have you got it? may be i could order it for my next drive..

Yup. Glad that I could be of some help. :)

I got it from a computer shop at my place- Trivandrum. I put up the link to the online shop in an older post as both products are one and the same.
And ditto here about the need for driver programs. By including the driver CD, its manufacturers targeted older OS's like Win 98 (I have Win 7), and Linux.

Last edited:
can you send me the driver for win 98? here in my office we still have the good old 98. and i want to connect the Hdd to it. you can post it in rar here or on my mail. roltex_rohit123@yahoo.com

Can you tell what kind of hard disk you have? As in SATA/ IDE etc? There are plenty of setup files in the CD (117MB). Have attached the list of setup files.

Attachments

• drivers.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back