Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Salvaging Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, my camera has non-volatile memory.
Is the 1GB memory stick in my camera the same an EEPROM?

The new tiny iPod doesn't have enough room for a hard drive but it has a hard drive.

audioguru said:
Is the 1GB memory stick in my camera the same an EEPROM?

yep, pretty much - assuming you mean a modern day "flash" eeprom, like an i2c or spi type, or the memory inside a PIC F series microcontroller.

audioguru said:
My first pc was a 486 that came with a whopping 4MB of RAM and a 540MB hard drive..

My first P.C. was a 386 and had a 40 Meg hard drive. :eek:

Also, it cost me a fortune to upgrade to ' not much better '.

3v0 said:
My first PC was an 8088 running at a blistering 10MHz. The drive was 20 MB.

What's a 'hard drive'? :p

My first PC was an 80xx with two 720K floppies! :D

Before that I'd been using an Amiga for years, which I'd upgraded with a 40MB external hard drive.

In about 1967 I serviced an office "computer" that had punched cards as its program and used core memory (tiny ferrite donuts on wires intersections).
It used DTL logic ICs.

While showing a student how to strip a motherboard using a heat gun we found a Intersil ICL7673 battery backup chip. Mentioned in the battery backup thread started by Souper Man.

Also found some logic level FETs and the inductors from the DC DC converter circuits.

audioguru said:
In about 1967 I serviced an office "computer" that had punched cards as its program and used core memory (tiny ferrite donuts on wires intersections).
It used DTL logic ICs.

I was only 11 in 67 but...

I programed a IBM 1620 that used punch cards.
Also a DataGeneral Nova where you had to toggle in the boot loader because it did not have a boot ROM. :)

Somehow I do not miss that...

audioguru said:
My first pc was a 486 that came with a whopping 4MB of RAM and a 540MB hard drive. It died a couple of years ago with 52MB of RAM and a 2.1GB drive.
My camera has 1GB of RAM.

I still keep my first PC, a 386 with 4MB RAM, configurable to run at either 8MHz or 25MHz with 100MB of HDD. It has a 8X CD-ROM drive, 1 720KB and 1 360K floppy drive, sound card, Adlib on ISA port. As of now it still works properly, running Windows 3.11, with a parallel port printer and even a scanner! It can still connect to the Internet with a dial-up modem!

The old Tandy's Deskmate works on it just fine. (Tandy Deskmate couldn't work on my new P4)

As of now I seldom use it, only turn it on when I feel like playing some classic DOS Games like MARIO (anyone remember?), or writing Assembly programs...

I installed Windows 95 on it a few months back (minimal installation) but it worked very slowly so I revert it back to Windows 3.1.

My 486-100MHz was running on Win98 1st edition and high speed cable internet. It was fine until its 2.1GB hard drive collapsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back